How Much Does a Suit Rental Cost?
Suit rental may be ideal for someone who does not normally wear suits but needs one for a special occasion. At some point in your lifetime, you will need to wear a suit – either during your own special occasion or for someone else’s, where you may be one of the guests of honor or a special guest. Since purchasing a suit can get well into the hundreds, renting one may make more sense since the costs will be much lower than purchasing one.
How much does it cost?
- On average, be prepared to spend around $50 to $130 to rent a suit for two to three days. The costs will depend on the brand of suit and the company renting it out. Typically, a non-tuxedo suit rental costs around $80 to $150.
- A kid’s suit, on the other hand, is going to be 30-50% less than the estimates mentioned above.
- For example, Suitsformalwear.com offers a selection of formal wear with corresponding prices that range from $75 to $150. For instance, a shawl white suit rents for $132, while a grey one rents for $140.
- Askmen.com states that you should be prepared to pay at least $50-$200 for a suit rental.
What is going to be included?
- The most common type of suit rented is a tuxedo, which is commonly used for wedding or a prom. A tuxedo rental may include the pants, coat, shirt, suspenders, bow tie, etc.
- When renting, a suit can come in various brands, fabrics and colors. Your choice will depend on the event you are attending.
- Before a suit is rented, it will be measured and fitted. It should also be cleaned, and most allow you to rent upwards of 24-48 hours.
What are the extra costs?
- Most stores implement an accidental damage waiver on its suits for rent. If the suit comes back with damage, you will have to pay for it.
- Plan on spending more for a tuxedo and some lounge suit designs.
- You will also have to pay for a surcharge if you keep the suit longer than the rental period.
- Accessories such as the vest, shoes, tie, and shirt could be additional.
Factors that influence the price:
- The cost of suit rental varies according to the type of suit and the shop from which you rent it. Suits for young people, such as children and teenagers, do not cost as much as adult suits.
- Tuxedos are more expensive than other formal wear.
Tips to know:
- If you are an invited guest to an event, be sure to know the type of occasion you will be attending. Will it be a black-tie or white tie event? Also, know the time of the affair. There are some types of suits and tuxes that are meant for nighttime wear and others meant for daytime wear.
- If you are going to a formal event with a companion or date, take time to know what she would be wearing so that you may be able to complement her attire, even as you define your own style.
- If you are only going to wear the tuxedo once, consider renting. However, if you know you are going to wear it more than once down the road, you may be better off purchasing it.
- Rent the suit as early as possible. Failing to do so could lead to no suits being available if rented last minute. It is best to make the reservation for rental at least three to four months in advance.
How can I save money?
- Talk with different rental shops in your area and compare their prices. Most of them will either post their prices on their website or will be more than happy to provide information over the phone.
- You may also inquire from the rental stores if they offer discount packages.
- Consider purchasing the suit rather than renting it. Many discount retailers such as Men’s Warehouse and Burlington Coat Factory have full suits for less than $200.
- If renting from a major retailer, be sure to check for coupons ahead of time.
- If you are renting a tux or a suit for a wedding party, make sure all of the members of the party get the suit from the same place. Not only will this ensure that everyone matches, you may also get a discount for multiple rentals. Most shops even throw in the groom’s tux for free with the rental of a wedding party.
- It is very likely that you have a friend or relative that is the same size as you. Consider borrowing a suit rather than paying for the rental.
- There are many places online that you could purchase a used suit. If the suit was only used a few times, it should still be in fairly good condition. There are probably second hand stores in your area that you could check for this type of formal wear.