How Much Do Sweet Potatoes Cost?
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious and versatile food that can be made in a variety of ways such as boiled, sautéed and baked. These can be used for many different food recipes and is a favorite filling for pies and muffins because of its natural sweetness. These vitamin-packed root vegetables are excellent sources of vitamin A and C.
When buying sweet potatoes, choose dark ones over lighter-skinned varieties as the latter tend to be drier and less sweet. Also get smooth-skinned ones; this allows you to be able to store them for up to a week from purchase if you keep them in a cool, dark, and dry place. If the peels are not smooth, you will only have a few days to use them before they go bad.
More than half of the volume of sweet potatoes grown in the United States is sold directly for retail and the remaining percentage is distributed to food processors to be made into other products.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a pound of sweet potatoes can cost anywhere from $0.50 to $1.50 per pound.
- Traderjoes.com, for instance, sells what they label as organic sweet potatoes for $3.99 for a three pound bag. However, the prices are slightly different in their East Coast, Midwest and Southeast stores where a three pound bag of organic sweet potatoes sells for only $3.69.
- Crop and vegetable producer Foodcoop.com lists the current price of sweet potato organic vegetable sourced locally at $1.34 per pound. The price list is updated every weekday, and it details the source and the growing practice of their produce.
- Like most foods, the more you purchase in bulk, the more you are going to be able to save. For instance, a 40-pound bag of potatoes could cost anywhere from $14 to $22 per box.
- A news report in 2011 carried by MSUcares.com indicates the Mississippi wholesale price of sweet potatoes can vary anywhere from $15 to $16 per 40-pound box for a number one grade classification while number two grades are priced around $10 to $11 a box and jumbos are priced $8 to $9 a box.
What is going to be included?
- Sweet potatoes are a rich source of vitamins A and C and are also high in minerals such as potassium, beta-carotene, calcium, and folate.
- It also has a low-glycemic index meaning it is good for diabetics and also helps promote smooth and clear skin.
- Experts also say that sweet potatoes are good sources of calcium and can replenish the calcium that the body uses during times of stress and tension.
What are the extra costs?
- Production and transportation costs may sometimes be passed on to retail selling cost relative to competing prices and other factors that influence the selling price.
- Unless you are simply make baked sweet potatoes, you are going to need other ingredients and seasonings to add to your dish.
- There are many tools that you can purchase to make cooking sweet potatoes more easily. For instance, you can purchase a potato peeler to remove the peels of the potato, there are potato mashers that allow you to make mashed potatoes with ease, and there are slicers that can help you make sweet potato fries.
Factors that influence the price:
- Ounces, price and recipes may vary by region.
- Demand and supply in the local and national levels play a major role in influencing prices of sweet potato.
- The prices also vary depending on production costs while growing the product and transportation involved in bringing it to major markets.
- Prices of sweet potatoes can rise and fall depending on the time of the year as well as weather patterns in the area.
- The volume of sweet potatoes per location also dictates the prevailing rate in that area.
- The period of harvest is taken into consideration as well as the length of time over which buyers can obtain sweet potatoes from an area.
- The quality of the crop and reputation of the grower factors in when prices are computed.
Tips to know:
- Sweet potatoes are a labor-intensive and high-cost crop hence; they are quite costly with a big portion of the capital amount allocated to labor production.
- For some reason, Americans consume more sweet potatoes during cooler parts of the year which translates to higher prices during this period. There are many recipes that are common during Thanksgiving, for example.
How can I save money?
- Sweet potatoes are classified into different grades with the U.S. number one being the most expensive. However, knowledgeable consumers purchase other grades because they are cheaper and the eating quality is as of the same taste as higher-priced number ones.
- If you have a farmer’s market nearby, consider purchasing here. They can often be a dollar or so cheaper per pound, and they are also much more fresh.
- Keep your eyes peeled for sales. Many supermarkets often have sales in which the price can be as low as $0.30 per pound.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|