How Much Does Tapeworm Medication Cost?
Tapeworms are worms that live off of other animals or living things. The tapeworm makes it home in the intestinal tract and are most commonly found in animals such as cats and dogs. On average, a tapeworm can measure more than 35 feet long. Common signs of tapeworm are weight loss as well as the feeling of weakness. While a vet’s office can help assist with this issue, many pet owners tend to try over the counter medication first to see if it can remedy the problem. The cost of tapeworm medication is going to depend on the brand, the quantity, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- Tapeworm medication packages generally come with 3 or 6 capsules. The medication can also come in a liquid form. On average, the over the counter medication is going to cost anywhere from $8 to $40. Per pill, the medicine can cost anywhere from $3 to $10 depending on the brand.
- For example, a popular product online for cats known as Tape Worm Tabs by Tradwinds retails for $11 to $18. A liquid based tapeworm medication such as the Native Remedies Worm by Native Remedies retails for $25 to $39.
- Prescribed medication from the vet’s office can vary anywhere from $60 to $125 including the vet examination.
- For example, the popular online pet pharmacy PetCareRX.com sells it’s Tape Worm Tabs that retail for $17 to $21 for 3 tablets.
What are the extra costs?
- If a professional check up shows more problems than the tapeworm, additional tests and medicines may be prescribed. Note that some over the counter medications will not work for many animals. If you are not seeing results within 1 day, it is always best to check with a professional.
- Ongoing treatment plans may be necessary to ensure that your pet stays healthy in the future. Medication may have to prescribed on a monthly basis that can range from $22 to $61 per month.
What is going to be included?
- Tapeworms are caused by fleas on your pet’s body. Medication is going to dissolve the parasite within the intestinal tract. It is important that you prevent fleas from getting on your animal in the future by using products such as Frontline.
- When purchasing tapeworm medication, make sure that ingredients such as praziquantel is present. This type of ingredient helps kill off the tapeworms that are in the pet’s body.
- Most tablets are either going to have be taken orally or it can be sprinkled on food. This is going to all depend on the pet’s preference. Some pets will eat it with no problem while some have to have it hidden within the food. One good trick is to wrap the medication in something such as cheese.
How can I save money?
- Over the counter medication does not always work. Some experts state that they may even do more harm than good. While there are fantastic reviews on some of the products available online, it is essential that you read the directions before administrating the pill to your animal.
- It may be best to visit the vet’s office before wasting money on OTC products that have not been researched.