How Much Does A Teacup Pig Cost?
Pigs are often bred to become food, but there are also pigs that are kept as pets. Although the most common types of pets are cats and dogs, many other animals are becoming domesticated. Teacup pigs are rather small and are no more than the size of a teacup, hence the name given to them. Teacup pigs were developed and used for medical research, but have recently been emerging as a popular pet. Despite the belief that pigs are dirty, these types of animals actually keep themselves clean and can be trained as well.
How much is it?
- Teacup pigs are sold in pet stores as well as in different online stores. There are also private breeders that sell teacup pigs online as well. The price for the teacup pigs depend on the age of the pig as well as the quality of the breed. According to various sellers and websites, the price for teacup pigs can range from $500 to as much as $6,000.
- Online breeders such as Royal Dandie sell teacup pigs through their website. They sell the smallest breed of teacup pigs, and the price depends on the size and weight of the pig. The price for teacup pigs that are 12 to 29 pounds can be anywhere from $5,500 to $6,000. Cheaper teacup pigs that weigh 30 to 39 lbs can cost $4,500 to $5,000.
- PotbellyPigs.com offers adoption which is usually free from other organizations, allowing them to provide it at a lower price. There are adoption requirements that you will need to accomplish and corresponding fees should be taken care of. The price to get a pig that is neutered, de-wormed and has its own registration papers can cost $600 to $700.
What is going to be included?
- Some companies would provide licenses with the pets, which would mean that they are already registered and already have a name.
- There are also several other inclusions for those who have been given the chance to take care of the pigs. Depending on the breeder, the piglet can be de-wormed, and come with a health certificate as well as a registration paper application.
What are the extra costs?
- Since additional care is needed to be given to the pigs, delivering them can cost extra. The company that will ship the pig would also have several conditions to be met to make sure that everything goes well. If the breeder is outside of the buyer’s area, shipments through the air can start at $300.
- Some companies would require the buyer to pay for the deposit, which will usually be non-refundable if the order is cancelled.
- Like any other pets, piglets need accessories that would help them develop their skills. Cages and play pens are usually necessary. Food can average anywhere from $50 to $200 per month depending on the diet of the pig.
How can I save money?
- There are plenty of organizations that can provide the pets for free through adoption. Some of the pets that they offer would have registration already as well as shots given to maintain their health and increase tolerance from sickness. While teacup pigs are not commonly found for adoption, older teacup pigs have been known to come through an adoption center occasionally. It does not hurt to check before you make your purchase.
- Compare and find different breeders that sell the teacup pigs and always consider adopting from one that is within driving distance.