How Much Does a Tibetan Mastiff Cost?
The Tibetan Mastiff is a breed of dog that has a long and interesting history. Originated in Central Asia, this Mastiff dog is commonly referred to as a guard dog. Its ability to guard herds, flocks and villages has made it a number one choice for many villages in the past. Today, this type of dog is used as a guard dog or as a simple household pet. Although this breed does have the word “Mastiff” associated with it, bear in mind that it is not a true mastiff.
How much does a Tibetan Mastiff cost?
- The cost of a Tibetan Mastiff is going to widely vary depending on a few different factors. These factors can include the age of the dog, the breeder selling it, and the dog’s qualities. On average, this breed of dog can vary anywhere from $1,000 to as much as $12,000. Most purchases will be within the $2,000 and $4,500 mark.
- It is not uncommon to find higher quality dogs to sell a lot more than the $12,000 price tag. In fact, a Chinese businessman once bought a Tibetan Mastiff for a whopping $1.5 million. The reason that the dog sold for this high price tag was due to the fact that it was deemed a “perfect specimen.”
- On the classified website PuppyFind.com, many breeders have their dogs listed for $2,000 to $10,000. Compared to most other breeds on this particular website, there are very few listings for Tibetan Mastiffs.
- The website TibetanMastiffInfo.com claims that a potential owner should expect to pay around the $2,000 price range, but do not be surprised if the prices reach as high as $3,500.
What are the extra costs?
- Due to the rarity of this particular breed, most owners will find that they will have to purchase a dog outside of their area. Because of this, most breeders are going to charge a shipping fee. This fee can range anywhere from $15o to $400 to have a dog shipped through an airline.
- General maintenance throughout of the life of the dog such as vet bills, food, toys and accessories will cost extra. It is best to budget $30-$40 per month.
- Because this breed is known to be stubborn, it is highly recommended that the new owner enrolls the dog in obedience classes. These classes are going to be the best way to teach your dog how to obey basic commands.
What is going to be included?
- Breeders are going to include items such as health certificates, vaccinations, and other related paperwork.
- If the dog is an AKC, the breeder must provide the paperwork to show its authenticity. There are also dogs that may have a RN title as well.
- The Tibetan Mastiff can typically stand as high as 30 inches and can weigh upwards of 175 pounds. Most have a double coat that comes in colors such as gold, brown, red or black.
- A Tibetan Mastiff is a larger dog that has a rugged coat. As the dog grows older, it tends to become rather calm and will keep to himself. While these dogs may look aggressive, they are usually friendly unless provoked.
Tips to know:
- For those that are living in close quarter situations such as an apartment, most experts will recommend that they steer clear of this breed and consider another.
- Due to the size of this dog, most Tibetan Mastiffs will do best with older children that are known to treat dogs respectfully.
How can I save money?
- Breeders often offer younger pups. Do not let this discourage you if you want to adopt an older dog. Older dogs will often be a lot cheaper than a younger puppy. Consider talking with local breeders or shelters to see what they have to offer.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|