How Much Does a Timing Belt Replacement Cost?
The timing belt is a part of an automobile that needs to be checked on a regular basis. If any problems arise during this inspection, a mechanic will probably recommend a timing belt replacement. On average, a timing belt will have to be replaced every 60,000 to 100,000 miles depending on the make and model of the car. The cost of replacing a timing belt is going to depend on a few factors such as the make of the car, the mechanic performing the job, and other factors.
How much does a timing belt cost?
- Since there are a variety of factors when it comes to replacing a timing belt, most owners can expect to pay anywhere from $300 to as much as $1,200 to replace the entire belt. This is the price for a professional job that is done at either a dealership or a local mechanic shop.
- For a lower model car, the hourly rates can range from $50 to $80, while a higher end models such as a BMW can range as high as $140 per hour for the procedure. Replacing a timing belt shouldn’t take no longer than 4 hours.
- Those that want to do the job themselves will find that a timing belt alone can cost $10 to as much as $100. Doing a complete job yourself should cost no more than $200 to complete the job.
- According to a forum thread on the website PassatWorld.com, the users claimed that they paid anywhere from $400 to as much as $800. Some were able to do it themselves for less than $300.
What are the extra timing belt replacement costs?
- When a mechanic replaces a timing belt, they will want to perform other maintenance jobs such as replacing the water pump and replacing the oil filter. Depending on the mileage of the car, the maintenance price can greatly vary.
- An oil change is often recommended after a timing belt has been replaced. This is due to the fact that the mechanice will have to flush the fluids out.
- On a public forum thread on the website PassatWorld.com, users claimed that they had paid anywhere from $400 to as much as $800 to have their timing belt and water pumps replaced.
- Additional parts may have to be replaced outside of the timing belt if other problems are found. If another issue is spotted, additional fees could apply.
What is going to be included?
- A car will usually have either a single serpentine belt or multiple belts which will include the timing belt. The belt is going to power parts of the car such as the air conditioning, steering and the alternator. It is important that this belt is replaced early because it can cause a lot more problems if it is ignored.
- Depending on the skill of the mechanic, the job can take anywhere from two to six hours. Some mechanic shops can loan you a car for the day or shuttle you wherever you need to go.
Tips to know:
- If your current car has a drivetrain warranty, check to see if a job such as this is covered. If you are unsure, call the company providing the warranty.
- Timing belts tend to need to replaced around the 80,000 to 100,000 mile mark. If your car is reaching this milestone, you may want to get it checked out.
- When choosing a mechanic, be sure to look for one that is ASE-certified. This will ensure that the mechanic has gone through extensive training to work on your car.
How can I save money?
- Replacing a timing belt should not be done by a novice. If you have some experience working with cars, you can consider replacing the belt yourself. Most will find that the job is not as hard as they thought as long as they have the right tools. Be sure to refer to your owner’s manual to ensure that you are completing the job properly.
- Try to avoid local dealerships. Many message boards online claim that the dealership will charge a lot more than a local mechanic.
- A timing belt change will often be part of a tune-up package. If getting a whole tune up, consider looking for coupons that can help save you a few dollars.
- If you’re going perform the procedure yourself, consider looking for coupons at local auto parts stores or stores online. Many stores can often have coupons that save you a certain percentage or amount of money.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|