How Much Does a Titer Test Cost?
A titer test is a test used to determine the amount of antibodies we have in our bodies. Antibodies protect us from different ailments such as hepatitis, rubella and others. By testing the amount of antibodies we have, we can be aware of how much protection our bodies have from various ailments with which we can come in contact on a daily basis. The titer test is performed by drawing blood from the veins; it is usually obtained from the elbow or the back of the hand.
How much is it?
- The price of the titer test will usually depend on the type of ailment the antibody is for. The location where the test will be performed would also play a factor how much the price of the test will be. The facility that performs the test has control over what they charge. On average, a titer test can cost anywhere from $60 to $250 for a complete analysis.
- For example, AccesaLabs.com is a facility that can perform tests for different ailments. The price for the most common antibody titer test can range anywhere from $70 to $240. They also perform screening tests and these will cost $70 to $260.
- VCU.edu also performs titer testing for five different antibodies which includes Hepatitis B, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, and Varicella. The price of the titer testing offered here can range from $15 to $20 for college students.
What is going to be included?
- The titer testing procedure includes obtaining of blood specimens from the patient. The blood will be drawn from the vein, the point of entry being the elbow or the back of the hand. After obtaining the blood, it will be cleaned using antibacterial wipes and will be wrapped in an elastic band around the upper arm to ensure that the bleeding stops.
- Some of the establishments that offer titer testing will include the doctor’s order, all of the lab fees, and taxes as well as a PDF copy of the test results. The interpretation of results can be included as well depending on where you have the test taken.
What are the extra costs?
- Titer testing is a process that includes taking the blood and having it checked in a laboratory for the results. If there are any negative results found, there could be extra costs to be treated or seen by your doctor.
Tips to know:
- Aside from getting titer test for humans, the test can be done to animals as well. This will identify how much antibody your pets have, which can lead to possible prevention of them acquiring ailments.
- There are several type of testing that can be performed; the type of test performed will be based on the type of ailment the antibody is designed to fight.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you can check for a laboratory that offers all in one testing. This means that they would provide the testing kit and they will interpret the results of the specimen. This is going to be cheaper than having each individual process performed separately.
- Another way to save on the titer test is by researhcing to find a laboratory that offers the test at an affordable rate. You may also want to check with your insurance provider to see if the test is part of the coverage plan that they have for you.