How Much Does Tomato Paste Cost?
Tomato paste is a well-known ingredient that is usually used to thicken sauces and soups. Tomato paste is made by first cooking the tomatoes for several hours. Once this is done, the seeds and skin are removed and the tomatoes are then cooked for several more hours. This results in a paste that is thick enough to remain in tact but is also workable enough to mix into other liquids to make them thicker. Tomato paste is most often used in Italian dishes, such as the base for marinara sauce or vegetable soups. Tomato paste can come in different sizes and different packaging, and it can be found in any grocery store.
How much does it cost?
- On average, prices of the tomato paste range from $1 to $9, depending on brand and packaging size. For instance, a 6-ounce container of Cento Tomato Paste retails for $1, while GIA Sun-dried Tomato Paste in a tube retails for $4. A 3-pack 7-ounce pack of Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste, on the other hand, retails for $9.
- Most cans in your local grocery store will be between the $1 and $2 range.
- At Amazon.com, tomato paste products prices start at $0.99. Products include: 6-oz Cento Tomato Paste – $0.99; 6-oz Gefen Tomate Paste – $1.19; 6-oz Contadina Tomato Paste – $1.33; 6-oz Hunt’s Natural Tomato Paste – $.199; 7-oz Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste – $2.38; 400-g can Alwazah Swan Brand Tomato Paste – $1.69; 12-oz Lieber’s Tomato Paste – $2.39; 12-oz Hunt’s Tomato Paste – $2.62; GIA Tomato Paste – $2.50; 6-oz Goya Tomato Paste – $6.84; and a 2-pack Trader’s Joe’s Tomato Paste in squeeze tubes cost $10.99.
- At Costco.com, a 6-oz can of S&W tomato paste retails for $4.
What is going to be included?
- Tomato paste manufacturers offer the products in different packaging options. Most tomato paste that comes in a can is often sold in retailer outlets individually or in packs. The products also come in squeeze tube forms, which are sometimes sold in twos.
- Tomato paste commonly comes in six and 12 ounce containers, usually in aluminum cans.
What are the extra costs?
- There are online retailers that charge an extra shipping fee if a minimum order is not met.
- No matter what recipe you are making with the tomato paste, there are going to be many other ingredients needed. These will all be extra costs.
Factors that influence the price:
- Packaging. Tomato paste products usually come in cans, jars, or tubes. Cans are often sold in retailer outlets by packs. Tomato paste in cans that is sold in packs often have lower prices compared to those sold individually. The most expensive would be tomato paste sold in squeeze tubes, with some being sold at around $6 per tube.
- Supplier. There is usually a difference in prices for tomato paste products sold directly from the manufacturer (through their online sites) and at some retail outlets and supermarkets. For example, a 6-oz can of Pastene Tomato Paste costs $0.69 at Wegmans Northborough MA outlet and $0.89 at the Pastene.com. Also, a 2.8-oz tube of Amore Tomato Paste costs $4.88 at Amazon and $5.59 at Vitacost.
- Brand and quality. Tomato paste brands known to be of superior quality and use only premium ingredients are often more expensive than regular ones.
Tips to know:
- Products made from tomatoes approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) are safer and healthier.
- Check the labels of cans and tubes to make sure that tomatoes are the only ingredient used in the products.
- Be sure to check the shelf life of the tomato paste, unopened and refrigerated.
- Tomato paste in squeeze tubes is often suitable for those who are always left with a half-full can of tomato paste.
- Tomato paste that comes in cans can often be wasted. Once you open a can, the remainder needs to be refrigerated and used with a week or it will begin to turn. Since most recipes call for a small amount of tomato paste, people who buy tomato paste in cans will end up wasting quite a bit. To prevent this, you can put the leftover paste in a freezer safe ziploc bag. Flatten the paste in the bad and squeeze out all the air. This can last in the freezer for up to 6 months; when you need some, simply break off a piece and throw it in the pot.
How can I save money?
- Many tomato products offered online are available for free shipping. When ordering through an online retailer, take advantage of free shipping on minimum orders.
- Make the tomato paste solution yourself. Many households actually prepare their own tomato paste using tomatoes they plant in their own garden. A lot of tutorials on the internet are available to help you make your own tomato paste. These videos also include the costs to be incurred in creating your own tomato paste. They are not only inexpensive; they are also healthier since they are not made with preservatives and other unnatural ingredients.
- Buy in bulk as many dealers offer discounts on multiple orders.
- Do comparison shopping for tomato paste products offered by different online dealers to find items with the lowest price.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|