How Much Does a Tragus Piercing Cost?
A tragus piercing, a type of piercing done on the small flap of cartilage located on the opening of the ear, began to rise in popularity in 2005 and has become more widespread in the last decade. When getting tragus piercing, it is important to make the right choice, not only in terms of price but also in quality. This is because it greatly influences the outcome of the piercing procedure, the effects of which usually last a lifetime.
How much does it cost?
- On average, the cost of a tragus piercing without any jewelry is going to run $15 to $55.
- At Body Manipulations in San Francisco, California, outer ear cartilage piercing services cost $25 or $40 a pair. Jewelry is sold separately.
- 23rdstreetbodypiercing.com in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, offers tragus piercing services for $25 plus the cost of the jewelry of choice. Rings start at $10 and barbells at $20. Each additional piercing takes off $10 from the final cost.
- According to BodyPiercing.2muchstore.com, the cost of tragus piercing ranges from $15 to $50, depending on the body piercing shop and the type of jewelry chosen.
What is going to be included?
- Tragus piercing involves a different process from other ear piercing methods. It is usually done using a sterilized small gauge need that can be hollow and either straight or curved. The piercer inserts a small cork inside the ear canal to ensure that the tragus is kept in place during the piercing process. He or she then cleans the tragus to prevent infections. Afterward, the piercer puts on his gloves, pierces the area, and inserts the jewelry. Healing time for tragus piercing can be anywhere from 2 to 4 months, with some people not achieving complete healing after a whole year. The length of the healing period depends on the type of jewelry used and skin sensitivity.
- With the piercing should come a cleaning solution to keep the ear free of infection. Applying this daily is the best way to accelerate healing.
What are the extra costs?
- Jewelry is sometimes not included in the price. Many shops offer jewelry choices along with the service, but these may be limited. Most body piercing shops though sell various kinds of piercing jewelry. The most common types of tragus piercing jewelry include captive bead rings, rings, studs, labret studs, microdermals, and barbells. Typical starter jewelry chosen is often a curved barbell or a 14 or 16 gauge CBR. Tragus piercing jewelry can cost about $2 for a sterling silver stud to more than $300 for a genuine 3 mm diamond stud.
- If the cleaning solution is not included, you may need to purchase some. A mild fragrance-free liquid soap with anti-microbial abilities are often recommended for use after body piercing.
Factors that influence the price:
- Piercer skills. A piercer’s expertise can greatly influence the overall cost of getting a tragus piercing. Some of the more experienced ones may charge higher than those who have less experience.
- Jewelry. The type of tragus jewelry chosen affects the overall price of the piercing. Different kinds of jewelry can be used on the area and their prices can vary according to design, style and material. Gold, diamond, platinum and titanium jewelry pieces often cost a lot more. In particular, a 16G surgical steel labret option costs about $3 while a 3 mm diamond bezel jewelry can cost about $250.
- Location. Where the body piercing shop is located plays a factor in the cost of a tragus piercing. The procedure often costs higher in bigger cities when compared to shops located in small towns.
Tips to know:
- The tragus is rather susceptible to infections because it is located in an area where hair can get in constant contact with, sometimes leading to infections. Also, there is a likelihood that the needle will penetrate beyond the tragus; thus, a piercer should exert extra care.
- The use of earphones is completely prohibited. Answering the cell phone should be done using the other ear and the phone should in no way get in contact with the newly pierced ear.
- Make sure to observe proper after care to developing an infection. Salt water soaks are required after a tragus piercing session to help keep the area safe from dirt and germs. Seek medical attention immediately should there be signs of infection.
- Before engaging in any piercing session, make sure to ask the studio for the following: current business license, health inspection report, autoclave test, where the piercing session will be held, and their portfolio of previous work.
- Even though the jewelry purchase is considered an extra cost, it is one that is required and not optional.
- It is best not to sleep on the ear that has just been pierced.
How can I save money?
- Take advantage of printable coupons offering discounts on jewelry purchases as well as piercing services.
- If you wish to get more than one piercing, have them done at a body piercing shop that offers discounted prices on double or multiple piercings.