How Much Does Varicose Vein Removal Cost?
Varicose veins are veins that bulge out of your skin. These veins will become enlarged when they fail to circulate blood properly. Varicose veins are also known as spider veins and become quite a nuisance for those that want to have perfect legs. Luckily, there are various treatments that can be done to get rid of them for good. The cost of a varicose vein treatment will vary depending on the surgeon, your location and other various factors.
How much is it?
- Most treatments can be done on an outpatient basis. On average, the cost of the treatment is going to cost anywhere from $550 to $2,500 per leg, depending on the number of veins. The more veins that have to be removed, the more it is going to cost.
- A laser setting that requires the removal of smaller varicose veins may cost anywhere from $250 to $500 per session. More than one session may be necessary depending on your situation.
- According to the website LawPublish.com, the cost of varicose vein removal can cost anywhere from $600 to as much as $2,000 per leg. This will usually include the surgeon’s fee as well as the hospitalization and anesthesia.
What are the extra costs?
- Surgeons fees and hospitalization may be necessary if the surgery is performed in an hospital setting rather than an outpatient setting. Normally after the procedure, the patient can leave that day unless something goes wrong. If an overnight stay is required, additional fees may be applied.
- Anesthesia may be given if the patient chooses to go under during the surgery. While the amount of pain may be minimal, the more extensive the treatments become, the more it may hurt.
- A follow up procedure may have to be done since the first procedure generally does not get rid of the veins 100%.
What is going to be included?
- There are a few ways that these veins can be removed. One of these processes are called “sclerotherapy,” which is a surgery; other various treatments may include the use of a laser. See: “How much does sclerotherapy cost?“
- For those that have larger veins throughout the legs, surgery may be required. During the surgery procedure, a patient is under partial anesthesia. An incision is made near the groin and from there, the veins will be stripped and removed by making smaller, necessary incisions. After the incisions are made, they are tied off.
- Laser surgery is more ideal for those that want to have smaller veins removed. During this treatment, a laser is going to be applied to the skin over the vein area. The energy produced by the laser will cause these veins to shrink.
How can I save money?
- Insurance companies generally will not cover this procedure since it is considered a cosmetic issue. With that being said, be sure to discuss your options with at least 2 to 3 clinics to see what they can do for you. It is best to ask for before and after pictures to get a good idea of what they have done for patients in the past.
- Treatment may not be a necessary measure. Consider consulting with a doctor to get other ideas on what can be done in order to get rid of these varicose veins for good.