How Much Do Walkie Talkies Cost?
Walkie talkies are communication devices that are portable and made up of low-level radio transmitters and receivers. In the early days, the walkie talkie that was used was a black and bulgy transistor with an antenna; the user would hold his mouth very near to the speaker before he would speak. However, the design and technology of walkie talkies has drastically changed, and today, they are used for a variety of reasons. While some walkie talkies can be used as a toy for children, there are many that are used in different aspects of the work place as well.
How much is it?
- The pricing of walkie talkies is different depending on the place of purchase, the model and the ability in terms of mileage of coverage. The price of walkie talkie varies from about $20 to as much as $110. There are quite a number of these gadgets that you can get with a price less than $30, yet they cover a range of between 10 to 20 miles.
- For example, the highly rated Motorola MH230R retails for $45 to $60.
- A set of walkie talkies that are meant for children can cost from $5 to $20. These will not have a very far range and will usually be brightly colored or even feature cartoon characters.
What is going to be included?
- Walkies talkies are more or less same as telephone handset and are slightly larger though a single unit with an antenna sticking out on top. The first made walkies-talkies had tubes that ran on 4, 45-volt dry cells or even the 12V Nickel-Cadnium batteries. Due to changing technology, however, the walkie talkies today are made with personal two-way UHF radio models, smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
- Walkie talkies will always come in a set of two; you will not have to purchase them individually.
- Since the term “walkie talkie” is often referred to a child’s toy, many have character designs or child colors. A walkie-talkie that is geared toward adults are referred to as a “two-way” radio.
- The average two-way radio can reach up to 35 miles.
- Channels can range anywhere from as little as 4 to as much as 22.
- A walkie talkie can either work on a rechargeable or standard battery.
- Common brands include Motorola, Midland, Cobra, Uniden and Kenwood
What are the extra costs?
- The costs of a booster may be additional costs. This booster is used to increase the range at which the walkie talkies can be used.
- For smooth operations, there are also maintenance charges for the walkies-talkies given that they also undergo wear and tear.
- If the walkie talkie requires batteries, this can be an additional cost to consider. If it runs on a rechargeable battery, it is sometimes useful to purchase an extra charger or base so that you have a spare or have one that can be taken elsewhere.
- There are some walkie talkies that can be attached to an earpiece or headset that has a wire running to a pack that is worn on the belt. There will be a button toward the top of the wire, usually around chin level, that will be both the speaker and the push button to talk. This is usually much more convenient for a more hands-free operation.
Tips to know:
- If you enjoy outdoor activities, motorcycling, working in a school, working in a college, pub or club or even looking after young ones at home, a walkie talkie would become a useful gadget for your operations. For all those whose jobs involves moving from one point to another within a three mile range, then a walkie talkie could be a necessary gadget.
- Contrary to the mobile phones, walkie talkies are license free and do not have any other related charges. With a child’s walkie talkie, there is code key which allows the operator to transmit similar tones or Morse code to another walkies-talkie that operates on the same frequency.
- More than two people are capable of talking on the same frequency. However, only one user can talk at a time.
How can I save money?
- Because walkie talkies are fairly cheap considering the use you will get out of them, purchasing a high quality set will probably be the best idea even if it is more expensive up front.
- The use of these gadgets already help save you money. The push button available on the gadgets helps saves this time as it minimizes calling and waiting for an answer that is not provided. In situations where you have several people in the field and there is need to communicate to all of them, it becomes cheaper to communicate given that the walkie talkie help cover a large crowd and at the same time saves countless hours through their use of long range walkie talkies.
- Investing in a booster for the walkie talkie is usually a lot cheaper than paying numerous cell phone bills.
- Consider purchasing second hand models on eBay or Craiglist.