How Much Does Walmart Charge to Cash a Check?
Walmart is a large retailer that offers everything from groceries to clothing to tires for your car. In addition to all the things that they sell, Walmart also provides many services. One such service is cashing checks. Check cashing at Walmart is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to cash a check if you do not have a bank account. Sometimes people need a place to cash checks because they do not have a bank account. Otherwise, they may need to do it because their bank requires them to match the amount of the money cashed. However, not everyone has money in their accounts; therefore, they cannot cash them at their banks and receive the money immediately. For example, if you have a check for $100 but do not have $100 in your bank account, the bank may deny cashing your check. If you are struggling with this, Walmart may just be your solution. In the store, there is no registration required, you can get your cash immediately, and you can even load your money to a Walmart MoneyCard for free.
How much is it?
- For checks up to $1,000, the maximum price to cash a check at Walmart is $3. If the check is $1,001 to $5,000, the charge is $6.
- According to Walmart.com, the costs can range from $3 to $6, depending on the amount of check and local laws.
- This US News article claims that it will cost $3 for checks lower than $1,000 and $6 for checks greater than $1,001.
What is going to be included?
- To cash a check, you are required to have a photo I.D. and a check they are willing to cash. The check can be in form of a payroll check, government check, tax check or money order. You may also be asked to input your social security number on the credit card PIN pad.
- You can also cash your check at any checkout lane or at the customer service desk; the limit is up to $7,500.
- If you choose to get your money on a card, there is no registration fee required to get your card; this will enable you to get your cash immediately.
What are the extra costs?
- The store will charge an additional $3 fee for each transaction.
- Bank Account. Instead of having to hassle with cashing checks at Walmart, try to open your own bank account. This is usually free to do as long as you keep a minimum amount in the account. You can cash any type of check in any amount when you have a bank account.
- Issuing Bank. If you were written a personal check and cannot find a service that will cash it for you, you can go to the issuing bank and get it cashed. Look at the check for the bank information. Since the bank can check the check writer’s account and verify his signature, they can make sure that it is a valid check and that there are enough funds to cover the written amount.
Tips to know:
- The store allows government checks, but it does not allow personal checks or other checks that can be cashed, including student loan checks, rebates and 401k checks.
- The store can cash specific paychecks if approved.
- You can cash a check out of the state and all you need to have is your driving license or your passport. Make sure you call your bank to verify if your out of state account counts as an in-state account.
- You can cash checks if you are in Chex system.
- Since the store have printers, print the check information on the payroll check, even if the check is handwritten.
- Due to state laws and regulations, Walmart does not offer check cashing in all its stores. Be sure to call up ahead of time or check the website to see if they offer this service.
- There are some places that offer a machine or even an app that allows you to cash a check very conveniently. This may not help you avoid fees, but it will help you get the check cashed quickly.
- Call up the local store to see what the restrictions are when it comes to cashing your check. This is going to save you time from going to the store.
How can I save money?
- The reload fee is waived for the WalMart Money Card users. If you have a money card, be sure to get one branded by Walmart to avoid any reload fees. If you are going to purchase groceries or other necessities at Walmart, you will benefit from this in the end.
- If you are set on using a store to cash your check, see what other stores in the area will charge.
- If you can, consider opening up a bank account at a local bank to cash your checks for free.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|