How Much Does Walmart Charge to Cash a Check?
In addition to all the things that they sell, Walmart also cashes checks. Check cashing at Walmart is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to cash a check if you do not have a bank account.
How much is it?
- For checks up to $1,000, the maximum price to cash a check at Walmart is $3. If the check is $1,001 to $5,000, the charge is $6.
- According to Walmart.com, the costs can range from $3 to $6, depending on the amount of check and local laws.
- This US News article claims that it will cost $3 for checks lower than $1,000 and $6 for checks greater than $1,001.
What is going to be included?
- To cash a check, you are required to have a photo I.D. and a check they are willing to cash. The check can be in form of a payroll check, government check, tax check or money order. You may also be asked to input your social security number on the credit card PIN pad.
- You can also cash your check at any checkout lane or at the customer service desk; the limit is up to $7,500.
- If you choose to get your money on a card, there is no registration fee required to get your card; this will enable you to get your cash immediately.
What are the extra costs?
- The store will charge an additional $3 fee for each transaction.
Tips to know:
- The store allows government checks, but it does not allow personal checks or other checks that can be cashed, including student loan checks, rebates and 401k checks.
- The store can cash specific paychecks if approved.
- You can cash a check out of the state and all you need to have is your driving license or your passport. Make sure you call your bank to verify if your out of state account counts as an in-state account.
- You can cash checks if you are in Chex system.
- Due to state laws and regulations, Walmart does not offer check cashing in all its stores. Be sure to call up ahead of time or check the website to see if they offer this service.
- There are some places that offer a machine or even an app that allows you to cash a check very conveniently. This may not help you avoid fees, but it will help you get the check cashed quickly.
- Call up the local store to see what the restrictions are when it comes to cashing your check. This is going to save you time from going to the store.
How can I save money?
- The reload fee is waived for the WalMart Money Card users. If you have a money card, be sure to get one branded by Walmart to avoid any reload fees. If you are going to purchase groceries or other necessities at Walmart, you will benefit from this in the end.
- If you are set on using a store to cash your check, see what other stores in the area will charge.
- If you can, consider opening up a bank account at a local bank to cash your checks for free.