How Much Does a Wedding Makeup Artist Cost?
Many brides want to have makeup applied before their big day starts. A makeup artist is generally going to apply makeup to your whole wedding party including your maid of honor, bridesmaid, and more. The cost of a professional makeup artist is going to depend on a few factors such as the experience of the artist, the location, as well as the number of people.
How much is it?
- Professional makeup artists will hold a preview session where they can discuss your options as well as apply the make up as a trial run. This will give you a good idea on what they are going to be able to do for you. A preview can cost $45 to $95 per person.
- On the day of the wedding, makeup applications will vary per person. For the bride, an application can cost $45 to $250. On the higher end, it may reach the $500 for the bride alone. For example, this would be for an artist that is well known in New York City.
- For each person in your party, expect to pay anywhere from $35 to $90 per person. Generally, the more people you add to the party, the less you’ll have to pay per person.
What are the extra costs?
- Factor in the travel expenses if the wedding makeup artist has to travel to the venue. They may charge $25 to $75 per hour for the travel time only. Some artists may have a flat fee to travel to nearby cities.
- Some artists may require that you bring in your own make up. If this is the case, you’ll be required to purchase the make up for your party.
- Most artists will require that you place 50% down when signing an artist for your wedding. While this 50% is applied toward your final bill, this is money that you’ll have to give up front to ensure that they will be there on time.
- If you want the makeup artist to stick around the wedding for touch ups, hourly rates may apply as well.
- While not necessary, many wedding makeup artists may expect a tip. These tips can range from 10% to 15% of the total bill.
What is going to be included?
- A makeup artist is going to meet with you prior to the wedding date to ensure that both parties know what to expect. If you want to have a sample application, many may charge simply for the makeup, while some do it for free. It’s best to discuss your options to see what’s included.
How can I save money?
- Consider having someone help the party with the makeup. If you do the makeup applications by yourself, this will entitle you to save a good amount of money since the only thing that will have to be purchased is the makeup.
- Most artists will give a discount for larger parties. The more people you have, the more you’ll be able to save per person.
- Check online for special promotions or even coupons for local makeup artists. Even if they don’t have a special promotion, many are more than willing to haggle on the price as well.