How Much Does a Wheelchair Ramp Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Wheelchair ramps are a necessity to those who are restricted to a wheelchair. Wheelchairs help people with a disability to have the option of being mobile, and they allow people to move who are injured to move around without the challenge of carrying their weight as compared to using crutches. Wheelchairs also help those who take care of the disabled or injured person since they are easy to puch and maneuver. With the aid of only hands, or even batteries in electric wheelchairs, people can go about their normal lives more easily. One thing with which a wheelchair cannot help, however, is climbing a flight of stairs or even one or two steps. This is the reason why most buildings have ramps for wheelchairs. When a new building is built, it is required that it be handicap accessible. If a ramp is not available, there are foldable wheelchair ramps that can be assembled and then removed in no time.
How much is it?
- Wheelchair ramps are available in different sizes and they can be made of different materials. Ramps can be made out of steel, plastic, wood, or concrete, and the size depends on the grade of the incline. The materials used on ramps can cost differently, and the amount of materials used can vary depending on the size of the ramp. On average, a ramp can range anywhere from $50 to as much as $500 for the ramp itself. This will not include the professional installation rates.
- The minimum amount you should plan on spending is from $1,300 to as much as $3,000 to have the ramp built and installed.
- For example, WheelchairSelect.com sells wheelchair ramps of varying sizes which are made of aluminum. They sell the ramps for anywhere from $100 to $150 for suitcase ramps and $350 to $500 for travel ramps depending on the size.
- Portable-Wheelchair-Ramps.com sells 2 to 6 feet ramps that are great for stairs, decks and vehicles. The suitcase series ramps that they sell are priced from $110 to $250 with sizes ranging from two to six feet. They also sell lip extensions which are optional for $50 to $75.
What is going to be included?
- Wheelchair ramps come with several features and capabilities. Some wheelchair ramps can be folded into what looks like a suitcase for easy transport. These can be used on stairs, trucks or minivans and also have extension lip to increase its range.
- Wheelchair ramps can support a wide range of weights and are available in different sizes. Since there is a tendency to break due to the nature of the use, wheelchair ramps are provided with a manufacturer’s warranty that can last up to a few years. Each brand will vary.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from full sized wheelchair ramps, you can purchase threshold ramps for lower heights. They are considered to be added cost since they are purchased separately and are not included with the package.
- As mentioned above, professional contracts can start at $1,000 to install a permanent wheelchair ramp.
Tips to know:
- Wheelchair ramps are available in different sizes. The bigger the ramp is the more it costs to produce. Make sure that the size of your wheelchair is proportionate to the ramp.
- Purchase wheelchair ramps that are foldable so you can take it anywhere with relative ease and it would be easier to assemble.
- It is possible to build the ramp yourself. However, there are specific guidelines a wheelchair ramp must follow in order to be up to code. The main standard is the maximum grade of the ramp.
- If getting a permanent ramp installed, a concrete ramp will be the most durable and reliable.
How can I save money?
- Check different stores that sell wheelchair ramps. You will be able to find several sites that sell them. Each site offers a handsome discount for the product, which can help you save a few hundred dollars.
- Wheelchair ramps vary in price because of the materials from which it is made. More durable materials may cost more, but it will allow you to save in the long run since it will last longer.
- If you are going to hire a professional to install these ramps, consider using sites such as ServiceMagic.com to help you find the lowest quotes in your local area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|