How Much Does Home Window Glass Replacement Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Home window glass replacement is one of the many costs that may arise in the maintenance and up keep of owning a home. If your home windows are fogging up or maybe they have cracked, you may be able to replace the glass within the frames rather than replace the window as a whole. There are many times when the window frames are in good condition, so you do not want to have to replace the whole window. Replacing the glass is a lot cheaper and the process is a lot quicker. The cost is going to depend on the company, the size of the window, the type, and a few other factors.
How much is it?
- The materials, window type, and glass will all play a role with the pricing of home window glass replacement. Depending on these factors, the costs of home widnow glass replacement can be anywhere from as little as $75 to as high as $375 per window installed. The more windows you need the have replaced, the lower that price can become per window. Higher-end windows that are larger than the standard window can cost upwards of $700 or more. To play it safe, plan on budgeting at least $225 per window to have the glass properly replaced.
- According to WindowsPriceGuide.com, the cost of replacing the glass in a window will depend on the glazing and type. They say with installation, the costs can be around $69 to $150 per window.
- If you want to get an exact quote for your particular project, consider getting multiple quotes for free from websites such as HomeAdvisor.com.
What is going to be included?
- Generally, there three types of window glass replacement types from which you can choose.
- Single-glazed window glass is thin and rarely used with most windows today since it does not provide much protection from weather or sounds. With this type of glass, it often provides a thin layer causing a lot of heat and air to escape the home.
- The double-glazed window is one of the most popular options. This type will have two layers of glass that is usually separated by a gas fill. The thickness allows the home to retain heat easier and is deemed energy efficient.
- Lastly, a triple-glazed window is similar to a double-glazed, but it is going to have a triple layer.
- Aside from the type of window replacement, there will be different types of glass options: Low-E, Heat Absorbing, Reflective and Clear.
- Low-E has a special coat and tine that aims to reflect the light from the outside.
- Heat absorbing glass is similar to a Low-E but it’s less effective.
- Reflective glass reduces the amount of light that comes through but can also reduce the amount of visibility when looking out.
- Lastly, clear glass has no layers, reflection or coating. This allows you to look straight through.
- Window glass replacement can be done to tempered glass, aluminum frames, vinyl frames and wood frames.
Factors that influence the price:
- The size and layout of the window will greatly affect the cost. If there are two large panes of glass rather than 9 little ones, for example, the price can be higher or lower. Doing a whole window of small panes will be more expensive than one whole pane since there is more cutting and labor involved.
- If you are doing multiple panes of glass is different windows, the price will be higher than if it involves only one window.
- Whether the window has frames made from vinyl, aluminum, or wood will determine how the panes of glass will be replaced. This in turn will affect the cost.
- The type of glass (single, double, triple-glazed) will be a large determining factor since the higher the rating of the glass, the more expensive it will be.
- The company that you hire to do the installation will have the final say on the price that you pay for the job.
What are the extra costs?
- To have the window professionally tinted, the costs can be around $5 to $10 per square foot.
- If you want to replace the frame as well, you will need a completely new window; this can cost double or triple the quotes mentioned above.
- Replacing faulty hardware on the window can add to the cost, as can any other repair that is needed on the windows.
- Some contractors may charge slightly more for difficult frames such as wood.
How can I save money?
- Replacing the window glass is going to be a lot cheaper than replacing the window, especially if you only need one pane of glass replaced. If your window is building up moisture or fog is present, it is best to replace it as soon as you can.
- If you have proper experience, consider doing the job yourself. However, if you are not sure what to do, it is best that you leave the job up to the professionals.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|