How Much Do Window Screens Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A window screen is a vital component to your window system in your home. The screen is the part of the window that can prevent unwanted bugs or debris from coming in the house. With the help of a window screen, you can open the windows to enjoy the breeze without having to deal with pests. Depending on the weather and how much you use your screens, they can become damaged or simply worn out. Whether you want to get new window screens for your windows or you need to replace the ones that you have, the cost of replacing window screens will usually depend on the size, the contractor being used and the number of windows that need screens.
How much is it?
- If you want to do the job yourself, most window screen kits are going to run $5 to $13 per window.
- For instance, the highly popular New York Wire 71588 retails for $12 to $15.
- If you are set on using a professional, the cost to re-screen a window will cost around $18 to $45 per window. You will generally have to bring the window screen to their shop to have the work done. If you want the professional contractor to come to your home, the average cost will be between $150 to $250 per window. However, the more windows for which you need screens replaced, the lower the cost can be.
- New window screens, depending on the size, will run $25 to $50 without installation.
- According to a forum thread on Disboards.com, most people said that they purchased kits that retailed from $8 to $20 per window screen.
- Lowes.com has a calculator to show you how much it will cost to screen your window.
per Square Foot
|Aluminum||$0.25 to $0.40|
|Bronze||$1 to $2|
|Copper||$1 to $1.80|
|Pet||$20 to $30 per kit|
|Solar||$1.50 to $3|
|Vinyl||$0.15 to $0.30|
What is going to be included?
- When referring to window screen replacement, only the actual screen will be replaced. The frame that goes around the screen and fits in the tracks of the windows will not be replaced.
- Window repair kits will include a roll of screen, spline, and instructions on how to replace your window screen.
- If a professional comes to your home, they will take measurements, create the window screen and come back at a future date to install them.
What are the extra costs?
- Bent frames will have to be replaced, bringing the cost up.
- If you are going to replace your screen yourself, you will need tool like screen roller, which can cost upwards of $10.
- If a contractor has to come to your home to replace multiple window screens, a travel fee of at least $75 to $100 will apply at a minimum.
- Adding parts and accessories such as frames, locks, a spline, fasteners and cloth can add to the cost if some of these parts have to be replaced. Generally, the only thing that needs to be replaced is the screen.
- Premium screens such as a solar or colored screen can cost up to 40% more.
- Retractable screens, which move up and down with a button, can be complex to install and because of that, it can cost double to triple the amount of common window screens.
Tips to know:
- There are many things that you can do with old window screens rather than simply throwing them away.
- Screen can be used when planting grass or flowers; place the screen over the seeds, preventing birds from getting to the seeds and allowing the grass or flowers to sprout.
- A small piece of screen can be used to prevent clogs in a sink’s drain.
- Screen can be used to filter and clean many different things such as paint.
- The texture of the screen makes it a great way to remove paint or other stubborn stains from your hands. Screen can also be attached to the bottom of a sponge to give it extra scrubbing power.
- Screens can be used in small spaces that could allow bugs to enter the home, such as pipes.
- Screens can be used to contain animals such as lizards or snakes. This can be true both in your garden or in your home as a pet.
How can I save money?
- Replacing a screen is actually very easy to do. If you want to replace a screen because it was scratched, consider purchasing a repair kit. These kits often cost less than $10 and work like a charm.
- Many of your local hardware stores will repair screens for as little as $10. Again, instead of having a contractor coming to your home or purchasing a new screen, consider a hardware store before any other option.
- If you have to screen more than one window, consider purchasing a bulk roll of screens at your local hardware store.
- Always get at least three quotes if you are going to choose a professional contractor. To get a handful of quotes for free, consider using services such as HomeAdvisor.com.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|