How Much Does a Wiper Motor Replacement Cost?
A wiper motor is a part of the car that makes the windshield wipers work properly. Without windshield wipers, you will find that it is very hard to see through the window in case of rain or snow. If there is a problem the wiper blades or the wiper motor, it needs to be addressed immediately. While fixing a wiper motor is not that hard of a job, many opt to take it into a professional mechanic. The cost of fixing a wiper motor will depend upon a few factors such as the make and model of car, the parts required and other factors.
How much does windshield motor replacement cost?
- Wiper motor replacement is a somewhat simple job that should be able to be done by any mechanic. On average, the entire job including parts should cost around $125 to $325. Most parts will cost $50 to $200. Domestic parts will usually be cheaper than foreign parts.
- For instance, a motor for a Pontiac Montana could retail for $100 to $125, while a motor for a Ford Taurus could cost anywhere from $75 to $110.
- According to this answer on Amazon.com, a user claims that it cost them around $150 to have the job done. It took his mechanic a little more than a hour.
- Do-it-yourself jobs will cost around $20 to $2000 for the motor part. The make and model will play a crucial role in how much the part is going to cost.
- According to the website Windshield-Replacement-Cost.net, a motor can range anywhere from $50 to $188 for the part alone.
What are the extra costs?
- Most mechanics may want to replace the wiper blades once the motor has been replaced. Wiper blades should cost less than $20. See: “How much do wiper blades cost?“
What is going to be included?
- Taking apart the motor, all the wires connected to the motor will be attached. Carefully taking apart the motor, it will be removed from the car. Note that each car will store its motor in different areas. Some cars have it located near the engine while others are housed near the compartment. After the motor has been taken out, a new one will replace the old one. The wires will be connected and it should be ready to go.
Tips to know:
- Before you even consider replacing the motor, make sure that the fuse has not blown. It would be silly to replace a whole motor for $300 when all it actually needed was a $2 fuse.
- Always be sure to get the exact motor for your make and model. If you are going to purchase online, many shops such as Amazon offer great search engines to ensure that you are making the right purchase.
How can I save money?
- The job can be done fairly easily if you know a little bit about fixing cars. There are many step-by-step guides on the web that can walk you through the process. Generally, if you complete the job on your own, you will be able to save at least $100 to $200. It should also be noted that the average amateur car mechanic should set aside at least three hours to fix the issue.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|