How Much Does a Wrought Iron Fence Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A wrought iron fence is one that is is commonly seen and well known. When it comes to placing a fence around your property, there are hundred of choices from which you can pick. Fences can vary in height, width, material, color, etc. One of the best choices today is the wrought iron fence. Wrought iron fences are known for their excellent use for security since the material is very durable. Wrought iron fences can also add to the aesthetic beauty of the home since they can be made with beautiful patterns and designs.
How much does it cost?
- On average, plan on budgeting around $55 to $190 per linear foot to have a wrought iron fence installed. Compared to most fences on the market for a home, this type of fence tends to be near the higher end.
- LandscapingNetwork.com claims that you should budget at least $20 to $30 per foot. Compared to a wood fence, which hovers around $9 to $15 per foot, a wrought iron fence is near the top when it comes to pricing.
- Some forum thread posters on the website City-Data.com claimed that they paid around $35 to $50 per linear foot to have this type of fence installed.
- HouseBlueBook.com has a calculator that you can use to see what your project may cost.
What is going to be included?
- A wrought iron fence is made from worked iron. With many decorative styles, a wrought iron fence is used for both security purposes and a way to add an elegant touch to a yard.
- During the fence installation, a path will be cleared and holes will be dug. After the holes are dug, the posts will be installed within the concrete and the panels will be then attached to the posts.
What are the extra costs?
- Most fences will not come with a gate. If a gate is required, this can cost anywhere from as little as $100 to as much as a few thousand dollars. The cost depends on the type and design that you want. Gates can be just large enough to let a person walk through, or they can be large enough to drive a car through.
- If you want to have a gate installed, you may also want to have a lock for security purposes. These locks can be manual or automatic.
- If the fence has to be painted afterwards, consider this as an additional expense.
- The cost for installation may be added as an extra amount if it is not included in the general price of the product.
- If there is an existing fence that needs to be removed and disposed before the wrought iron fence is installed, this would be an extra expense to consider.
- Depending on the local city regulations, special permits may have to be pulled.
Factors that influence the price
- Alignment and intersection. A wrought iron fence can be installed on different surfaces but it is easier to do if the terrain of the area is flat. However, the cost of the installation may increase if there are slopes or trees in the area.
- Grade. The price will also depend on the grade of the wrought iron used. The more durable the iron is, the higher the price for the product would be.
- Decorative patterns. A wrought iron fence is known for its designs. The pieces may come simply in horizontal and vertical lines but if the fences have complex designs and intricate patterns, it could have a higher price compared to a simple design.
- Contractor. Different contractors do have different level of skills. The better the skill a contractor has the higher asking price he/she would require.
- Terrain. The foundation on which the wrought iron fence is installed will make a big difference. If it is just grass, then the installation will be easy. If the fence needs to be placed on existing pavement, the prices can be a bit higher.
Tips to know:
- If you do not want to install the wrought iron fence yourself, make sure that the people you are getting services from are licensed, insured and are skilled enough to do the work. It is best to talk with at least three to five contractors before signing any contract.
- Remember that if you want to do it yourself, be sure to call the local utility company to market underground lines.
How can I save money?
- Consider using free services such as HomeAdvisor.com. Here, you can input your project details and from there, contractors will bid on your project. This is the best way to get the best quote in your area for free.
- Installing the fence on your own is the cheapest route. There are many videos and tips online that you can use as a guide.
- Choose a low maintenance wrought iron fences so you do not have to spend much in the long run for maintenance and repair.
- If design and patterns are not your priority, then consider a simple design.