How Much Does a Zebra Finch Cost?
The Zebra Finch are loud and boisterous singers that can sing with a loud beep, oi and aha. They can sing quite well, and their song usually starts with a few small beeps that can lead up to a rhythmic song that has a variety of complex notes. It should be noted that not all Zebra Finches can sing; only the male is able to sing, and this ability peaks around puberty. The price of a Zebra Finch depends on the gender of the bird, age, quality and where the bird is purchased from.
How much is it?
- On average, a zebra finch can cost anywhere from $10 to as much as $80 per bird. The cost of having Zebra Finch depends heavily on whether you will buy a male or female. Since a male Zebra Finch can sing, these are sold at a considerably higher price. The breeders and stores that sell Zebra Finches sell the birds at different prices, and depending on the quality of the bird’s breed, the price can also be affected.
- For example, Pet Smart is a local pet supply store that specializes in different types of animals which can become pets. The site mentions that pet availability is seasonal and that the pricing for the bird may differ from one location to another. The price of the Zebra Finch at a store such as this one can range from $13 to $20 per bird.
- eFinch is an online breeder that offers this particular breed. Like other stores that sell Zebra Finches, the site also mentions that the availability of the bird is seasonal only. They are sold per pair and the price for the Zebra Finches can be anywhere from $40 to $130.
- ZebraFinch.com offers Zebra Finches in the United States. The stock that they have usually comes from other countries which also makes the availability of the birds seasonal and not guaranteed. The price depends on the rarity of the color and can be determined by the stock availability; this price can range anywhere between $30 and $50 per bird.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the number of birds that you will purchase, inclusions can be different. There are some stores that will offer free shipping if a minimum purchase requirement has been met.
- Some breeders may also opt to include a start up kit that can include items such as food, toys and more.
What are the extra costs?
- Like any other birds, a Zebra Finch cannot survive with a plain habitat. They must be enclosed in a cage where they will be fed and taken care of properly. Cages for birds can greatly vary in cost depending on the quality as well as the number of birds that will be within the cage.
- Food will be required on a daily basis. On average, food can cost upwards of $15 to $50 per month depending on the type of food that is purchased.
- Vet checkups may be necessary if the bird experiences any type of health problem.
Tips to know:
- Zebra Finches are not hard to take care of. Although the usual maintenance should be provided to them to make sure that they survive the new environment, extensive attention is not usually necessary.
How can I save money?
- Rather than buying the bird individually, you may want to consider buying the birds in a pair as this will guarantee that you will be able to breed them yourself. Also, buying birds in pairs can help you save since most stores and breeders will give a discount on the second bird.
- Consider looking through various adoption agencies or even checking online on sites such as Craigslist to see if any are up for sale or adoption.