How Much Does an American Shield Home Warranty Cost?
AHS, known as American Home Shield, is a network of 11,000 professionals who service more than one million customers. Since 1970, AHS was the first company to offer home warranties.
How much is it?
- The cost of an AHS Home Warranty is going to depend on the plan, the size of the home, where you live, and what needs to be covered. On average, be prepared to spend anywhere from $350 to $600 per year for a basic AHS home warranty plan noted below. If premiums are added on, such as a pool or septic system, the costs can increase by more than $50 to $75 per year for each item.
- According to this Angie’s List article, the average AHS home warranty ranges anywhere from $345 to $432 per year. A user on that same thread stated they paid $475 for the year and stated it was worth it.
- On City-data.com, a user claimed that he paid $500 per year for his AHS warranty and $60 every time a contractor had to come to the home.
American Home Shield offers the following plans: a combo, build your own, systems, and appliance plan.
- Appliance Plan. Appliances are those things in your home that simply make your life easier. As such, they get used a lot on a daily basis and therefore have a lot of wear and tear over the years. There are many appliances that come with limited warranties, but purchasing an AHS home warranty that covers all of your appliances is much cheaper than purchasing separate warranties for each one. This plan covers refrigerators, dishwashers, washers, dryers, stoves, ovens, ice makers, trash compactors, garage door openers, built-in food processors, and more.
- Systems Plan. There are certain systems in your home that make it much more comfortable to live it. For example, you get hot water from the water heater, cool air from the air conditioner, and heat from the furnace. If one of these systems should fail, your life could become uncomfortable. The AHS home warranty systems plan can cover all of these systems: air conditioning, ductwork, heating, electrical, plumbing, water heater, garbage disposal, central vacuums, smoke detectors, doorbells, ceiling fans, and more.
- Combo Plan. This is the most popular plan chosen by customers of AHS. This plan includes coverage of all the things listed in both the appliance plan and the systems plan.
- Build-your-own Plan. There may be a lot of things covered in the other plans that you do not even own. For instance, not that many people have trash compactors or built in food processors. Instead of paying for a warranty on things that you do not even have, you can build your own plan for what you want to be covered. From a long list of covered items, you simply choose the 10 that are the most important to you.
What are the extra costs?
- Adding a pool, water softener, well pump or septic system is considered an optional add-on. Adding a pool could cost an additional $100 per year, while a septic tank may cost $80 per year. For each premium add-on, it is safe to add an additional $75 to $100 per year to the basic quote.
- Each time you make a claim, you must pay a trade service call fee, which can come in the following increments: $75, $100 and $125 per visit. The higher this service call fee is, the less you will have to pay for your premium. Keep in mind that each time make a claim, you will have to pay this service fee.
Tips to know
- If you are buying a new home and want a warranty, see if the seller is willing to add it to selling price. Depending on how desperate the seller is, you may be able to get a warranty added on.
- Be sure to know what is not going to be covered with your warranty. Items, such as a sprinkler, pool, HVAC systems and more, may not be covered in a basic plan. If you are unsure what’s going to be covered, talk with AHS to see what your plan is going to cover.
- With most AHS plans, it’s important to take care of your products while you live in the home. If you fail to do the preventative maintenance, your claim may be denied.
How can I save money?
- Crunch the numbers before signing up with a home warranty. You are going to want to ask yourself if the warranty is worth it; for example, if an air conditioner needed a $200 repair, you would still have to pay a $100 service fee.
- Do not forget to compare other brands. In the home warranty world, there are a lot of companies with poor remarks. If you are set on getting a warranty, it is so important that you do your due diligence.
- There are times when a warranty company holds a discount or a special sale.