How Much Does an Alcatraz Tour Cost?
Alcatraz is situated 1.5 miles offshore from San Francisco. This structure was first used as a military fortification, but it well known as a federal prison which was often referred to as “The Rock.” Alcatraz now serves as a national recreation area since 1972. Because of its historic past, the island of Alcatraz has attracted thousands of tourists every year.
How much is it?
- The cost of an Alcatraz tour will depend on the company, the age of the person, time of year and inclusions. On average, plan on spending $20 to $90 per person.
- AlcatrazCruises.com is a local company that offers Alcatraz tours. The company offers four different types of tour packages which include Early Bird, Day Tour, Night Tour and a combination of Angel Island and Alcatraz Tours. The price for the tours can range anywhere from $28 to $60.
- AlcatrazTickets.com is another company that offers Alcatraz tours. According to their website, you can find stand alone or packaged tours which can cost anywhere from $38 to $91.
What is going to be included?
- Each tour packages that is available can have different inclusions. Since most of the tour packages are designed for people not residing in San Francisco, some can include a tour of the city in addition to the main Alcatraz tours.
- The most engaging tour some agency offers would usually include on board narration, audio tour, a guide, and special tour activities. This tour usually occurs at night and could last for up to two and half hours.
What are the extra costs?
- Aside from touring Alcatraz itself, you can also include tour of the different sights within San Francisco for an added cost. Some of the popular destinations are Angel Island and a tour of the city on board a double decker bus.
Tips to know:
- If it is the first time that you are visiting Alcatraz, you may want to take advantage of the night tour being offered by some agencies. This is the most complete of all the packages that they offer and can provide you with a more memorable experience.
- If you happen to have the urge to visit other San Francisco landmarks, you can ask the agency that provides Alcatraz tours if they offer add on tours for a fraction of the cost.
- While some people enjoy having a guided tour on which the guide will explain the history of Alcatraz, others might enjoy simply exploring and discovering things on their own.
How can I save money?
- You should take advantage of packaged tours offered by agencies if you plan on visiting different sights of the San Francisco area. The rates are offered at reduced prices rather than getting separate tours.
- You can check with different agencies to find which one offers the best package that would suit your budget. Do not be afraid to ask around as you have the final decision.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.