How Much Does a Baby High Chair Cost?
A baby high chair is a seat that is designed for your child to eat while sitting at the same level of the table.
How much is it?
- On average, a new higher chair can cost anywhere from as little as $35 to as much as $180. The cost will depend on the brand, size, material it’s made from and the features it has.
- A standard no-frill baby high chair with a detachable tray, for example, could cost around $50 to $80. However, a height-adjustable baby chair will cost around $100. A three-in-one combination chair often can cost as much as $200.
- For example, the highly rated Graco Blossom Highchair retails for $150 to $180.
- Toys R Us, for instance, has a variety of high chairs that cost anywhere from $25 to as much as $180.
What is going to be included?
- A standard high chair should come with a detachable tray and adjustable heights that can adjust as your child gets older. The tray can also have different settings of how far it can be pushed in or pulled out. This is important so that the child can reach the food but still be held in place.
- Higher-end high chairs can detach and act as a booster seat, which can be attached directly to a kitchen table chair. It will also have adjustable recline levels to help with easy feedings.
- A high chair will have a seat belt attached with padding on the seat. This can be a 5-point harness, a 3-point lap, or a simple lap belt. There are some that have convertible seat belts for different aged children.
- The seat cushions of the high chair should be removable so that you can easily throw it in the wash when it becomes dirty.
- Other features can include wheels and wheel brakes so that the high chair can be easily moved from one room to another. There are some that have two trays, adjustable footrest, automatic locking mechanisms, tray toys, and a toy bar.
- Today, most high chairs are going to be made from a durable plastic. However, older high chairs can be made from wood. Experts recommend that you steer clear of a wooden high chair because of how the safety standards have changed over the years.
- The removable tray on most high chairs will be dishwasher safe and can pull in and out, making for an easy cleanup.
- A child can use a high chair up to the age of three.
- Popular brands include Graco, Safety 1st, Fisher-Price and Chicco.
What are the extra costs?
- Apart from the direct costs associated with the chair, you need to think of other extra costs which are linked to it. Like for example, the changing of cushion pads, if required is also one of the hidden costs. If a cushion is ruined because of stains, it may become necessary to purchase a new one.
Tips to know:
- When buying a baby high chair, make sure the chair does not have sharp edges.
- Also, make sure that your child is not allergic to the material of the chair.
- Most high chairs are designed so that the food can just be placed directly on the tray. However, using a plate can make the clean up much easier. Washing a plate is less work than washing the whole tray.
- Choose a high chair that is easy to clean and easy to transport if you plan on traveling.
- Always look for the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association seal of approval.
- A good high chair should have a padded cushion and a five-point safety harness.
How can I save money?
- Do not invest in very expensive chairs since these chairs are used only for the duration of 3-4 months until the baby is older.
- If possible, borrow a baby high chair from your friends or relatives who might not be using theirs currently.
- You can also buy a second-hand baby chair which is in good condition. Check out Craigslist or eBay for slightly used chairs.
- If purchasing from an online retailer, do not forget to look for coupon codes before making a purchase.
- After the age of three, your child will be able to use a booster seat. If possible, consider purchasing a 3-in-1 high chair that can turn into a booster seat.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.