How Much Does Bark Busters Training Cost?
Bark Busters is an international dog training franchise founded in 1989. Its founders were Sylvia Wilson, an ex-manager of an animal shelter and Danny, her husband. Their aim was to develop a program which would help dog owners better deal with their pet’s behavior problems. The Wilsons have refined a technique of dog obedience training which makes training of dogs easy and accessible to all.
They began franchising their in-home dog training service in 1994 in Sydney, Australia, finally expanding this program into New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom. With Bark Busters, the dog owner works directly with a dog trainer in their own home using a technique which takes into account the distinctive challenges that the owner is facing. The technique then fosters a positive relationship between the owner and their dog. This technique enables the owner to build a lasting, emotional bond on the basis of trust and respect, which in turn helps overcome past challenges with your pet.
How much is it?
- According to multiple reports online, Bark Busters charge a flat fee of around $500 to $650 to instruct you how to train your dog.
- On Yahoo! Answers, for example, one user stated they paid about $500 for the program.
- On Yelp.com, another member claimed she paid $550 for the entire program.
What is going to be included?
- Bark Busters dog trainers focus heavily on teaching owners, as much or more as training their dogs. This is so that once you get to learn to effectively communicate with your dog, you can have the necessary tools for becoming an effective dog trainer as well as being a leader of your pack.
- The trainers will come to your house, evaluate, come up with a proper plan of action, instruct you on what to do and how to go about it and then give you some homework of techniques you need to implement by yourself. You have to spend most of your time training the dog yourself. The whole idea behind is that the Bark Busters trainer is not going to be around eternally. We all have to know how to coach our own dogs.
- They also offer a lifetime guarantee once the obedience training is over.
- There are approximately 400 franchise locations of Bark Busters globally.
What are the extra costs?
- Bark Busters offers a lifetime guarantee for $695 and $195 for each additional dog.
- The owner may be required to buy training aids, like dog treats, a clicker (a minute noisemaker to get the attention of your dog), a short leash and a long nylon lead, usually for a total of less than $50.
Tips to know
- In case the same problems crop up again, or if new ones surface, a trainer will be sent back to you at no extra charge to train you some more. The whole idea behind the principle of Bark Busters is that the dog belongs to you, not the trainer. You could send your pet out to be trained, but that would be the lazy way out. If you do not know how to continue the obedience training, it will certainly fail and you will get right back where you began.
- Dog training is not a one-time thing; it’s something which happens each day of the life of your dog. You have to be capable of committing to doing that for your dog. The ownership of a dog is a privilege and it involves work. The trainer should offer you handouts for at-home practice. The trainers from Bark Busters also make themselves available to answer any questions by phone or via e-mail in between classes.
How can I save money?
- Look out for discounts from Bark Busters in the form of coupons or other occasional special offers.
- The training program may at times offer a discount for a second dog coming from the same household.
- You can also opt for low-cost training offered by some shelters, starting at around $35 and up for a number of weeks of classes. This cost is typically lower for a dog adopted from the same shelter.
- Training can also be done at home using a book. You can get a selection of dog training books from online stores, such as Amazon starting at under $10.