How Much Does a Booster Seat Cost?
A booster seat is a firm foam or plastic cushion that raises the child higher in the car to improve the position and angle of the shoulder belt. Without a booster seat, the seat belt could go along the neck of the child, which could cause a serious injury in case of an accident. As simple as it sounds, booster seats are very beneficial for the safety of the kids and are mandatory for certain ages and sizes in many cities and states. In fact, studies have shown that booster seats cut serious injuries among kids by up to 45%. That given statistics alone is a proof of why it is a must have for parents who have kids in the car for any reason and any amount of time.
How much does it cost?
- The prices for booster seat vary according to the brand, manufacturer, and the size. However, the price averages from $30 to $70.
- For instance, booster seats at Target.com are priced from less than $20 to over $50.
- The same price range is also supported by the auction site Amazon.com. However, other more expensive booster seats are priced at over a hundred dollars. Most of these are high-back convertible and inflatable booster seats.
- Yahoo.com Shopping gives the range of $29 to $50 for a particular brand of booster car seat designed for kids who weigh 30 to 100 pounds.
What is going to be included?
- The included features for your booster car seat depend on the type of booster seat you are going to buy. Some booster seats, for example, feature an adjustable headrest, slide-out cup and snack holder, or even a lap bar for extra protection.
- As with other items, the booster seat can be purchased at your local stores or through reputable sites on the internet.
- When purchasing a booster car seat, CarSeat.org gives a valuable suggestion. According to the site, the ideal booster seat is the one that has an adjustable headrest and high density, energy-absorbing foam in the head area. This is to ensure the safety and comfort of the child. In addition, a vehicle seatback, booster, or headrest is needed in order to protect the neck, spine and head. Also, an adjustable headrest helps keep a sleeping child positioned properly under the vehicle belt and positions the shoulder belt comfortably without preventing it from working properly.
- When installing the booster seat in your car, make sure that the lap belt goes below the armrests. According to Parenting.com, you should check that the shoulder belt is routed correctly through the top guide and adjusted to the right height for your child when you are installing a booster seat with backs.
- For a complete installation, eHow.com gives step-by-step directions.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. Like most items sold in the internet, shipping fees are not usually included in the payment. If you order one online, you’ll likely pay for the shipping fees.
- Extra Features. There are attachments that can be purchased for your booster seat. The most popular attachment is a tray that connects across the arm rests. This allows the child to play with toys or eat a snack if on a long trip.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand. Some brands are known to offer higher prices for booster seats while others have fair prices.
- Style of the booster seat. The price of the booster seat also differs if it is backless or not. According to LiverMorePolice.org, a backless booster seat’s average price is $25 while a high back booster seat is priced at $29 on average.
Tips to know:
- As per CarSeat.org, a booster seat cannot be used if your car does not have shoulder belts in the back seat.
- For utmost protection, keep your child in a safety seat with a harness or a travel vest/harness as long as possible.
- According to Parenting.com, a backless booster seats is just as safe as those with backs (in reference to a particular study). This is good news since backless seats are cheaper compared to those with high backs. Not to mention that they are not as obvious and are not as bulky.
- Because booster seats are not the expensive, you should consider purchasing one for each car that you own. This will eliminate having to move the seat from one car to another, and it will solve the problem of possibly forgetting the booster seat in different situations.
- Many parents think that if they are just going down the road, the booster seat is not that important. However, accidents can happen close to home, even on your street. Booster seats should be used for all children within the given size/age range.
How can I save money?
- Saving money for purchasing a booster seat is not really a problem since there are a lot of stores online and offline that offer low prices for booster seats. Just shop around and you can surely find the best deals.
- This is one of those products for which quality should never be sacrificed for price. Purchase the one that will provide optimal protection for your child.
- Stores such as Babies R Us often have coupons such as 20% off one item. Take advantage of these coupons whenever possible.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.