How Much Does Cake Frosting Cost?
Frosting, also known as icing, only makes the cake more tasteful, giving birth to the saying “the icing on the cake.” Frosting can also be used on other treats, aside from cake, such as cupcakes and cookies.
How much is it?
- A can of frosting bought at a local grocery store can cost anywhere from $1 to $3 per 12 to 16 ounces. For instance, a jar of 15-ounce Pillsbury frosting can cost $2.50, while a 14-ounce container of Duncan Hines can cost as little as $1 when one sale. Gluten free frosting may cost $1 more.
- Local bakeries have homemade frosting that can cost anywhere from $5 to $15 per jar. This is going to depend on the bakery, quality, quantity, the type and geographical location.
- For example, MilesCakeSupply.com offers a wide variety of homemade cake frosting that costs anywhere from $2 to as much as $10 per jar. They have flavors such as white butter creme and chocolate spread.
What is going to be included?
- Frosting purchased from a bakery can be served either warm or frozen.
- Popular cake frosting brands include Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Duncan Hines and Fondarific.
- Popular flavors include cherry, chocolate, cream cheese, vanilla, whipped chocolate, dark chocolate, lemon, rainbow chip, fudge and strawberry.
- Frosting commonly purchased in the store will come in seven, 12 and 16-ounce sizes.
- For every 16-ounce frosting container, it will about 1,900 calories.
Types of frosting
- Buttercream – It’s made from butter and an icing sugar and works well with a cake filling and crumb coat. Buttercream can be homemade or ready made. Buttercream can come in the following forms: American-style, crusting, flour, cream cheese, custard, french, fudge, meringue and rolled.
- Flower Paste – This is an elastic and stronger frosting that can be colored similar to other pastes. It’s perfect to create shapes because it can hold once dry.
- Frosting – Buttercream often doesn’t hold its shape, and this is where frosting can come in. This frosting is a lot like buttercream, but it can be more stable since it has a pasteurized dried egg white. This frosting is nice if you want to add colors since buttercream and other options may be limited.
- Glace Icing – This frosting is created by mixing icing sugar with a liquid such as water.
- Mexican Paste – Like the flower paste, Mexican paste is stretchier but can hold its shape just as well. Since it’s elastic, it’s able to be rolled out as thin as a piece of paper.
- Poured Fondant – This fondant is used to top cakes and can dry to a shiny and smooth finish.
- Royal Icing – This pure icing is smooth, hard and will have a matte finish. It’s made from egg whites and icing sugar, but some bakers don’t use this type of frosting since the pasteurized egg could cause health risks. Royal icing will commonly be found to create a snow scene on a cake or it can add details such as dots and swirls. It’s also perfect for keeping a gingerbread house together since it can dry hard.
- Sugar Paste – Also referred to as fondant or roll out icing, this frosting can come in an array of colors and is known to be put on top of cookies and cupcakes. This smooth frosting is easy to roll out and can taste great.
Top cake frosting sellers on Amazon
What are the extra costs?
- Some bakeries can create customized flavors and colors for an additional cost.
- The frosting is just part of the process. Don’t forget the cupcake and/or cake mix and the finishing touches such as fruit, candy or characters.
Tips to know
- If you’re looking for the best cake frosting, this and this recipe have hundreds of five-star reviews. What is the best store bought chocolate frosting? A recent Mercury News study found the Duncan Hines Whipped frosting to have the best flavor.
- How much frosting do you need? This will depend on the type of frosting, the number of layers you plan on using, how thick you want it, what’s being frosted and how you’re decorating it. As a rule of thumb, every 12 cupcakes will require at least one cup of frosting. 24 cupcakes would require double this amount. As for cakes, plan on at least three cups for a six-inch round cake and for every inch you add, plan on adding an additional half cup.
- Is betty crocker frosting gluten free? Yes, all Betty Crocker frosting is labeled as “gluten free.”
- If you want to make canned store bought frosting even better, there are a few things you can do. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the frosting and mix it with a blender for 30 seconds. If the frosting isn’t thick enough, add another half teaspoon. Keep repeating this until you get a consistency you want. If you want to improve the taste, soften an eight-ounce block of cream cheese and mix it together with the frosting in a bowl.
- While it’s ideal to use the can of frosting once it’s opened, you can refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container. Try to use within a week before tossing.
How to decorate a cake with frosting
How to decorate cupcakes with frosting
How can I save money?
- You can make your own frosting if you have the ingredients and skill. There are many recipes that can be found online. Delish.com also shows us the top nine cake frosting recipes on the Internet.
- If you use frosting regularly, it is best to buy your frosting in greater quantities.
- Many name brand frosting found in your local grocery store have coupons. Be sure to check their Facebook page as well as search online to find printable coupons that you can take to your local store.
- Local dollar stores often have smaller containers. These containers are often enough to cover a small cake or a few dozen cupcakes.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.