How Much Does a Carnation Pomander Cost?
A carnation pomander was originally a form of aromatherapy. A ball filled with perfume was worn around the neck or carried in a vase as a way to fight infection as well as make the carrier smell nice. Pomanders that are for a wedding have the same idea; they are flowers that are arranged in the form of a ball. The original pomander was usually about the size of a tennis ball, while wedding pomanders can come in many sizes, even as big as a basketball.
A carnation pomander is simply a pomander ball made from carnations. Rather than having bouquets of flowers arranged at your wedding reception, you could highly consider carnation pomanders. It is creatively designed in a ball structure, and you can even get it customized according to your wedding theme. You could buy a carnation pomander made by a florist or you could make it yourself. These carnation pomander balls can be hung from the ceiling at different heights or placed on the table as a centerpiece.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a carnation pomander designed for a wedding can retail anywhere from $6 to as much as $85 for each flower setup. Most brides will not spend more than $40, however. The costs will depend upon how large the pomander is, if anything is added to it, and the florist who designs it.
- For instance, TheFind.com sells pomander flowers for anywhere from $6 to $39. There are a few that cost close to a $100.
- At Etsy, one particular user is selling pomander flowers for $15. These are sold by Ynas Bridal Shop.
- According ProjectWedding.com, you can make your own carnation pomander pretty easily. The estimate cost of a carnation pomander that you make yourself will be around $15 to $30. This could be even cheaper if you make the pomander from artificial flowers.
What is going to be included?
- Before the carnations are cut, they will sit in water for a day or so. Afterwards, the carnation pomanders are hot glued to a styrofoam ball. The average 8″ foam ball will have up to 100 carnation flowers. If they are going to be hung, a silk ribbon or wire will be added. This ribbon can be matched to the colors or theme of the wedding.
- If you are making your own carnation pomanders, the costs include carnation flowers, floral foam sphere, and floral jewelries.
- These flowers can come in many different colors such as purple, black, white, red, green and more. Many creative sellers online will often add silk ribbons or other flowers to compliment the carnations.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are going to shop for carnation pomanders at Etsy or TheFind.com, for example, you are going to be charged extra for the shipping fee cost.
- If you are making your own carnation pomander, you need to buy floral scissors and ribbons. If you want to make it a little more beautiful, you could also add ivy that hangs down.
- You will need tools such as a hot glue gun for a do it yourself project.
Factors that influence the price:
- Florist. Depending on the florist that provides you flowers, the price may vary. Although there is a standard retail price, a well-known florist has much more expensive carnation pomanders because of the reputation they have built.
- Size. Carnation pomanders may come in different sizes and prices will range accordingly. You could use a small carnation pomander for your flower girls. Sizes can range anywhere from 4 inches to as large as 16 inches or more.
Tips to know:
- Customize your carnation pomanders. You could customize them according to your wedding theme and colors.
- Hang the carnation pomanders on church pews to make your aisle more beautiful.
- If you want to make use of the pomanders as centerpieces, put them in unique vases.
- You could also use carnation pomanders as an outdoor wedding décor.
- To make a huge impact, use bold colors and use it in multitude of ways. Make each pomander with slight differences to have a good variety.
Questions to ask:
- What sizes are available?
- How many days does it take to make carnation pomanders?
- How is the carnation pomanders shipped?
- Could the carnation pomanders vary according to the color I want?
How can I save money?
- Consider making your own carnation pomanders. They are cheaper and they can be customized according to your preference. Also, you will not have to pay a florist to do it. Squidoo.com has a nice write up on how you can create your own.
- Buy in bulk. You can purchase the entire pomanders or the carnations to make your own pomanders at a wholesale price.
- Use it as a décor for both your wedding and reception. Simply move the pomanders from the wedding to the reception and hang them there.
- Ask your bridesmaids to help your with the flower arrangement if you intend to make a lot of carnation pomanders.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.