How Much Does the Ferry to Catalina Island Cost?
Catalina Island ferry service is the most common means of getting to Catalina Island from the mainland. Passengers can catch a Catalina ferry from various ferry options in Long Beach, San Pedro, Dana Point, Newport Beach or Marina del Rey. The cost of a Catalina Island ferry service depends on the age of the passenger, what ferry service is used, and where the ferry leaves from.
How much does it cost?
There are three ferry options that passengers can choose from: the Catalina Express, Catalina Flyer, and Catalina Ferries.
- Catalina Express offers several options. For ferry service leaving from Long Beach Catalina Landing, the rates are $72.50 round trip for adults, $66 for seniors, $57 for kids 2-11, and $5 for infants.
- For a ferry service leaving Dana Point, the cost of a round trip ticket is $74.50 for adults.
- The Catalina Flyer, a triple-decker catamaran ride that leaves from Newport Beach, the ticket costs are $70 round trip for adults, $65 for seniors and $53 for children 3-12.
- At Catalina Ferries, the third ferry service option and one that leaves from Marina del Rey, the ticket costs are $89 round trip for adults, $82 for seniors, $69 for kids, and $7.50 for babies.
What is going to be included?
- Catalina Island ferry services are offered by several companies. One is Catalina Express, which operates speed boats that leave Dana Point, Long Beach and San Pedro. The service gets passengers from Long Beach to the island in an hour and an additional 15 minutes from San Pedro. Another ferry service, the Catalina Flyer, leaves from Balboa Pavilion and takes approximately an hour and 15 minutes to arrive at the island. Catalina Ferries offer a 1-1/2 hour boat ride that leaves from Fisherman’s Village in Marina del Rey.
What are the extra costs?
- At Catalina Express, parking costs extra at $15. Passengers also have the option to upgrade to the Captain’s Cabin or Commodore’s Cabin on some of the boats.
- Bringing large items aboard a Catalina Island ferry may require paying extra, depending on the item and space availability. These include bicycles, surfboards, jogger strollers, and children’s wagons.
Tips to know:
- Each passenger who boards a Catalina Island ferry can bring two pieces of luggage. The items should weigh under 70 pounds each and should be no larger than 21×24×36.
- Several Catalina Express ferries leave daily. The Catalina Flyer departs once a day at 9 a.m. and returns at 4:30 p.m. Catalina Ferries leave once daily at 9 a.m. and returns at 4 p.m., or Friday to Sunday during the off-season.
How can I save money?
- Take advantage of Catalina Express Day Pass discounts from Catalina Express ferry service. The Day Pass, which can be downloaded at http://www.catalinaexpress.com/DayPass.php, offers up to 25% savings on island activities to holders who present their tickets to tour and activity operators in the area. Catalina Express also runs a birthday special offer that allows free travel to the island on one’s birthday.
- Book a hotel or ferry package. You can also call Catalina Express to make reservations. If you find discount coupons online, you can have these applied to phone reservations when you pay for the fare at the ferry terminal. Make sure to reserve in advance and bring your ferry reservation number to avoid ticket cancellations.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.