How Much Does a Home Central Vacuum System Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A central vacuum system is a built-in vacuum cleaner that is shaped like a cylinder. This unit is connected through pipes throughout the house, with an adapter available in each room. A hose will attach to the adapter, which can then be used as a vacuum. All the dirt and debris will be sent to the central cylinder. These units are known to have a cleaner environment due to the fact that all the dust goes to a central spot outside of the room, compared to a regular vacuum cleaner that can put the dust back into the air. The cost of a system will depend on the size of the home, the type of unit, the brand, complexity of the install and if a contractor will be needed to install the system.
How much is it?
- On average, a unit installed can cost anywhere from $1,100 to as much as $4,000 depending on the size and brand of the unit itself.
- The unit itself can cost anywhere from $150 to as much as $650 depending on the power, features, and more. For example, the Electrolux PU3650 retails for $475 to $550.
- The stretch hose kits that attach to the unit and outlets can cost anywhere from $60 to $300.
- New homes that are under construction commonly offer this feature for $3,000 to $4,000.
- According to the website CycloneHomeSystems.com, they claim that a vacuum system can start at around $999 and go up from there. The size of the home as well as the complexity of the design can greatly influence the price.
What are the extra costs?
- It is recommended that a filter is changed every 6 to 12 months, depending on the brand. Many brands have indicators recommending when to change the filter. This would be no different than a heating unit.
- If you want more outlets installed than what the professionals generally do, each additional outlet can cost anywhere from $100 to $350 each.
What is going to be included?
- A central unit will generally be installed in the basement of a home or a room where no activity is held such as a garage. Pipes will be ran throughout the home into areas such as the kitchen, living room and bathroom. On average, most installers will install up to 4 adapters.
- Central units will come with a limited warranty that can last up to 2 to 5 years, depending on the brand.
Tips to know:
- Be sure to check the various reviews online before making a purchase. There are a lot of systems out there that can range with features and more.
- It’s best to purchase a system with a limited warranty. This is going to ensure that if anything does happen down the road, you will be covered.
How can I save money?
- Compare at least 3 professionals in the area. Many are more than willing to come out to give a free consultation. Use services such as Service Magic to find the lowest quote in your area.
- Installing a central vacuum unit is not that hard for a novice. Consider installing the unit yourself to save up to $1,000 to $3,000. There are various resources online that can help you install the system in your home.