How Much Does the U.S. Citizenship Test Cost?
The citizenship test is one of the steps involved when applying for citizenship in the United States. The test is not multiple choice, but instead, it is an oral exam. Applying for citizenship is not the end of the road; you will have to be interviewed as well as take the exam. There are several possible questions that you will need to answer, and each is related to current events, government and history. The citizenship test brings you one step closer to becoming a citizen.
How much is it?
- The price for citizenship test is governed by one government agency alone: the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, or USCIS. The fee for the exam is the same across the board, and it does not change depending on your location. This test can only be taken when you are in the United States. On average, the price for the citizenship test can range anywhere from $575 to $700.
- According to the site US-Immigration.com, the price can range from $575 and up. The website also offers a guide on how to properly apply for citizenship. This includes tips on filling out the forms as well as what to expect during the interview and test process.
What is going to be included?
- The examination is not a computer based or multiple choice test. Instead, you will be interviewed by personnel of the USCIS. During the course of the citizenship test, you will be asked a series of questions related to US history and government as well as the involvement of the US with different foreign matters.
What are the extra costs?
- One of the additional costs involved when taking the examination is the application fee for citizenship application. You will have to file for citizenship before you can be scheduled for an interview and the citizenship test. The cost for citizenship application ranges from $595 to $680.
- If you fail the test, you will have to retake it; retaking it means that you will have to spend on filing for the test again. There is also a waiting period before you are allowed to take the test again.
- There are establishments that offer their services to prepare you for the examination. They usually offer their services and training materials at an added cost.
- If you want to study on your own, there are various products on the market that can assist you with the test. These books can start at $3 and go up from there depending on the book title.
Tips to know:
- The website of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services offers a citizenship self study test that you can take for free. There are several questions related to US history and government that can prepare you for the actual test.
- Remember that the test is an oral examination so you would have to keep your composure when taking it. Out of the possible 100 questions that you need to study, there will be 10 asked; you must get at least 6 of these correct in order to pass.
How can I save money?
- The fee for the examination is governed by the USCIS so the possibility of getting the price of the test slashed is very low. Prepare for the exam and take sample tests that will prepare you for the exam. Preparation can prevent you from failing and paying for the fee again when you decide to retake the exam.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.