How Much Does Coconut Milk Cost?
Coconut milk is usually the term given to the liquid derived from the coconut fruit, which is packed with health benefits. Over the years, the term “coconut milk” is referred to the processed milk that is received from the flesh of the coconut fruit, not the fresh liquid from the inside. Today, coconut milk is commonly used as a cooking base in many recipes.
How much does it cost?
- The average price for a single can of coconut milk is about $3.00. The price will depend on the brand, quantity and where it’s purchased.
- The price for coconut milk at Target, for example, ranges anywhere from $3.49 to $6. The exact price will vary depending on the brand, size, and even the location of the store.
- For bulk purchases online the costs can be more than $90 for a 96-ounce can (Pack of 6). However, there are some brands that cost as low as $2.49 for a 14 fluid ounces.
- Packs of 6 or 12 (13.5 ounces) cans can retail for $12 to $40.
What is going to be included?
- Coconut milk can be purchased in the ethnic foods section of your local grocery store or via the internet.
- Before you buy coconut milk, you should determine the exact way in which you will use it. Canned coconut milk can be incorporated into savory dishes since it has a fairly thick consistency. Coconut milk sold in cartons, on the other hand, is typically much thinner than the milk in a can. This poor consistency is a result of its dilution with water. Some types of coconut milk may also contain sweeteners, which may improve or ruin your recipe depending on the dish.
- In addition, you must also consider the shelf life of the coconut milk. Canned coconut milk tends to have a longer shelf life compared to the carton counterparts. Canned milk remains fresh for up to two years as long as it is unopened. Once a can of coconut milk is opened, refrigeration is a must and it should be consumed within two days. Coconut milk contained in cartons, on the other hand, has a shelf like that is determined by the type of carton used. Some cartons require no refrigeration while others require it even before it is opened.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand. Some brands are of higher quality than others. They have longer shelf life and they have made a name over the years. These are the ones that are expected to be a lot more expensive than the others.
- Size (Quantity). Bigger cans with more ounces of milk are expected to be more expensive than small cans of coconut milk. In addition, cartons are also priced a little less than their canned counterparts since the material used in cartons is not that expensive to produce.
- Store/Location of the store. Some stores (both online and local groceries) offer relatively higher prices than others. Target, for example, has different prices for their coconut milk all over the country even though stores are of the same name.
Tips to know:
- The price for coconut milk is higher than you may think because coconuts are not produced in the United States. It has been reported that some countries in Southeast Asia (where a large portion of coconuts are imported) have declined from producing coconuts for our country due to some shortage and other economic reasons.
- Coconut milk contains many vitamins, minerals and electrolytes, including potassium, calcium and chloride.
- Natural coconut milk is great for those who are lactose intolerant or allergic to animal milks. Thus, it is a good dairy-free alternative.
- One of the health benefits of natural coconut milk is its ability to relieve the symptoms of sore throats and ulcers. In addition, it is also used in skin-care products to moisturize the skin and relieve dry skin and rashes.
How can I save money?
- You can create your own coconut milk. It may be hard to think about but with the right knowledge and the appropriate materials, you can make your own coconut milk at home with little or no cost at all. NourishedKitchen.com has a nice write up on how it can be done.
- Buy the generic coconut milk instead of the branded ones since the former is known to be a lot cheaper yet will have the same taste and health benefits.