How Much Does a Cosmelan Treatment Cost?
The Cosmelan peel is a medium-depth chemical peel mask used to treat hyperpigmentation, melasma and other skin pigmentation issues. Since makeup and many creams often fail to conceal these impurities, Cosmelan works quickly to eliminate any noticeable hyperpigmentation.
How much does it cost?
- To see desired results, the average cost of a Cosmelan peel treatment can be anywhere between $600 to $900. The cost of the treatment will depend on the peel you select, the geographical area, the doctor you choose and sessions needed.
- According to many patients on RealSelf.com, the costs of this procedure ranged anywhere from as little as $250 to more than $1,700. The costs varied depending on their geographical location, the severity of the situation and dermatologist they used. Overall, more than 80% of those who had the procedure done recommended it.
- Lakes Dermatology, a dermatologist located in Las Vegas, Nevada, charges $350 for the FotoFacial package or $700 for the stand alone peel. The office also offers Cosmelan MD, a more aggressive approach; this package retails for $750.
What is going to be included?
- Cosmelan works by slowing the production of melanin, which often causes dark spots on the skin. Once the melanin is blocked, the cells will produce less of it and fewer spots will rise to the surface. It inhibits an enzyme known as tyrosinase.
- The procedure is performed in a clinic or medical spa by either a licensed dermatologist or certified skin care professional. Before the procedure even begins, the doctor will assess your situation and make sure you’re a good candidate. If you are, they will make you sign a consent form and talk to you about the procedure.
- During the procedure, your dermatologist will clean your skin to make sure it’s free from impurities.
- Then, the mask will be applied to the skin and left on for about eight hours. This means that after your dermatologist applies the peel on your skin, you can leave the clinic and remove the mask in the comfort of your home as directed by your dermatologist.
- Once the mask is washed off, a special cream is applied to protect the growth of new skin for about three weeks. This special cream should be applied daily until your skin heals.
- Multiple treatment sessions will be necessary before you see any significant results.
- Most patients should see results within a week of their initial treatment. During this first week, you should start to see your skin blemishes start to fade and your complexion will start to brighten. During the next few weeks, the skin will appear shinier and will continue to improve until the product isn’t used anymore.
- Cosmelan is available in the following packs: Cosmelan 1, Cosmelan 2 and Mesoestetic. Cosmelan 1 is a 10g cream which Cosmelan 2 is a 30 maintenance cream. Mesoestetic is a hydra vital factor K cream that is designed for the face and neck.
What are the extra costs?
- Consider additional fees related to the procedure such as the possible use of anesthesia, anti-anxiety medications, and any post-care treatments involved. These fees will vary patient to patient.
Tips to know
- During the first few treatments, you may experience redness, tightening of the skin, and peeling. Your dermatologist will provide you with post-care treatment instructions to help you manage these side effects.
- This peel is ideal for people who have had adverse effects from trying creams that contain hydroquinone or tretinoin. This peel does not contain these harsh ingredients.
- If you’re working in an office, it is best to have the treatment done over the weekend when you can stay at home for several hours after the mask is put on.
- Cosmelan is most often used on the face; however, it can also be used in other parts of the body.
- This procedure can’t be used with other depigmentation treatments since the results can often scar or even damage the skin.
- If you want to know how the peel works, a writer on Bellatory.com described her process day by day.
- One of the most effective treatments to treat melasma.
- There’s next to no pain involved with the procedure.
- Results can be seen in less than one week.
- It can be used on just about all skin types.
- It can be applied year round.
- Works well with sensitive skin.
How can I save money?
- Some clinics also offer payments plans which spread the cost over several months.
- Note that Cosmelan peel is an aesthetic treatment and is generally not covered by insurance policies. However, the policy may cover some or all of the cost if the purpose of the peel is to treat precancerous growth. Discuss the details of your coverage with your insurance provider.
- If you purchase multiple sessions up front, the office may be able to offer a special discount. Talk with the office to see what kind of deals are available.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.