How Much Does Cottage Cheese Cost?
Cottage cheese is a fresh cheese curd made with a mild flavor. Cottage cheese can be made with milk with different fat contents such as whole milk, 2%, 1%, or skim. The milk of choice will determine the nutrition value. Cottage cheese can also come with different size curds, most often “large curd” or “small curd.”
How much does it cost?
- The cost of cottage cheese will depend on the brand, the ingredients, where it’s purchased and size of the tub it comes in. Cottage cheese usually costs about $1.50 to $3.50 per tub.
- Needless to say, cottage cheese in smaller quantities per cup are expected to be cheaper. For instance, a particular brand of cheese is sold at Traderjoes.com with a $1.99 price tag. The said price is for a 16-ounce cheese container.
- An article on Calorielab.com featured some brands of cottage cheese such as Organic Valley Low Fat Cottage Cheese, Nancy’s Cultured Cottage Cheese, and Rachel’s Cottage Cheese. Each of these brands has its individual prices ranging from $1.50 to $4 per cup.
- Cottage cheese can also be purchased in individual cups similar to yogurt. These can be taken on the go and are easy to pack in a lunch. These will usually cost around $3 for a pack of 4 to-go cups.
What is going to be included?
- To buy pre-made cottage cheese is relatively easy. You just need to go to the nearest store and look for a brand of cheese that you prefer. It will be located in the dairy section of the grocery and will not be hard to find. However, you can also choose to buy at some online grocery stores to avoid the hassles of shopping at the supermarket.
- There are a number of variants when it comes to cottage cheese. Most brands differ largely. The reason for this is that some manufacturers use nonfat or skim milk in order to achieve a nonfat or low fat cheese. Others also add cream after it is made for a richer style. In addition, some brands are dry while others are known to be a little moist. There are also some types of cottage cheese that have been flavored with different fruits.
- If you purchase to to-go cups, there may be some fruit included as well. There are cottage cheese/fruit combos available if you like to have your cottage cheese with fruit.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand of the cheese. As mentioned, the specific prices for cheese differ from one brand to another. Some brands are known to be expensive than others.
- Quantity per cup. A 16-ounce cup of cheese is expected to be less expensive than a 24-ounce cup.
Tips to know:
- It must be remembered that not all cottage cheese is created equally. That is why it pays a lot to read the label and check for the nutritional value.
- Most people eat this type of cheese as a diet food, since it is low in fat and high in protein and calcium. Thus, it has long been boasted as being beneficial for weight loss. Because it contains so much protein, it will also keep you full for a longer time than other snacks can.
- Although low fat cottage cheese is superior nutritionally, some find the texture less enjoyable than the full fat version.
- Cottage cheese can be eaten by itself as a source of protein, but it can also be combined with other foods such as fruit, salad, or toast. Cottage cheese may also be used as an ingredient to certain dishes, such as lasagna or different desserts.
How can I save money?
- If you just buy the right ingredients and do the necessary things, you can save money if you make a homemade cottage cheese. If you are unfamiliar how, you can check out self-help sites in the internet that will help you with step by step procedure. The site Savvyhousekeeping.com gives a detailed list of ingredients and procedures needed. However, this will only be worth it if you have the need for a lot of cottage cheese.
- Because cottage cheese is such a popular product, you can always find coupons or sales.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.