How Much Does Cranberry Sauce Cost?
Cranberry sauce is particularly popular during Thanksgiving dinner. While some people like to eat the cranberry sauce right out of the can, other people use the cranberry sauce in recipes.
How much is it?
- On average, plan on spending $1 to $2.50 for a jar of cranberry sauce. However, 100% natural sauces can cost upwards of $7. The costs depend on the brand.
- For example, WildThymes.com sells a handful of cranberry sauces that retail for about $7.50. Their sauce is gluten, lactose, fat and cholesterol free.
- DailyFinance.com did a comparison of the many cranberry sauces on the market. With their study, Ocean Spray retailed for $0.98 to $1.99 and the Great Value brand, owned by Walmart, retailed for $0.95 for a 14-ounce can.
What is going to be included?
- Cranberry sauce is a relish or sauce made from cranberries. It is particularly popular in the United States and Canada. It is red in color and has a sweet taste, as well as being thick in texture. Cranberry sauce usually comes in a jar, although sometimes it can be purchased in a carton. The sauce can be refrigerated on kept in a cool space away from sunlight, such as in a kitchen cupboard or pantry.
- Typical sizes will be 14 ounces and will come in an aluminum can. Higher brands may come in a glass jar with a specialty label.
What are the extra costs?
- Cranberry sauces which contain extra ingredients, such as zest or ginger, can sometimes cost more than regular brands. The price will also depend on if the sauce is jellied or condensed.
Tips to know:
- Cranberry sauce has a shelf life and should be consumed before the expiration date, which will be clearly printed on the packaging.
- Cranberry sauce is also a healthy source of vitamin C, which is used to prevent a number of different medical conditions such as urinary tract problems. There are also many other vitamins and minerals in cranberry sauce. Some brands of cranberry sauce may not be suitable for vegetarians as jars may contain sources of gelatin.
- Although cranberries have a lot of health benefits, cranberry sauce is not the best choice nutritionally. All the sugar that is added to the cranberry sauce works against all the good parts of the cranberries, making it basically empty calories. However, cranberry sauce is still a much healthier option than other things that are normally included in a holiday meal.
How to make basic cranberry sauce
- Purchase a 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries. The only other ingredient you will need is sugar.
- Before you start making the cranberry sauce, the cranberries will need to be cleaned thoroughly. Put them in a strainer and rinse them under cold water until all leaves, stems, and debris has been removed.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil, and stir in 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Stir this mixture until the sugar is fully dissolved in the water.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cranberries. Then return to the stove and bring the water back to a boil. After a few minutes, the cranberries will start to pop open.
- Stir often for about 15 minutes and let the cranberry sauce set. Serve chilled.
How can I save money?
- To save money on cranberry sauce, choose a supermarket-owned brand or buy the sauce in a bigger size. Also look out for discount coupons or vouchers, which can help to save money on the sauce if purchased from a particular store or if a particular brand is purchased.
- There will usually be promotional discounts during the holiday season as cranberry sauce is particularly popular when consumed with turkey at Christmas and Thanksgiving. People who purchase home-made cranberry sauce from local food markets can also save money, and this can help to support the local community. Kroger, Walmart, Food Lion and Target all have their own cranberry sauce.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.