How Much Does Cream of Tartar Cost?
Cream of tartar, technically known as potassium bitartrate, is used for cooking and baking. As an acidic salt first manufactured way before the emergence of baking soda and baking powder, cream of tartar is often used to help stabilize egg whites and to produce creamy frostings.
How much does it cost?
- According to the human-guided search engine Chacha.com, cream of tartar is usually sold in a bundle with three or four bottles at around $20. This average price is supported by most auction sites. Amazon.com, for example, sells creams of tartar of different brands at $15 for a single pound.
- Other brands may be sold per ounce rather than per pound or per bottle. A bestseller at Amazon (McCormick Cream of Tartar) is priced at $16 for a 1.5-ounce cream, sold in packs of six. Doing the math, that will give us the figure of around $1.88 per ounce.
What is going to be included?
- The composition of cream of tartar is formed from the sediment left over in barrels after the wine making process. Essentially acidic, this can be mixed into other products in order to make recipes of all kind.
- Buying cream of tartar is not really that hard as it could often be found in the spices or baking section of most grocery stores, not to mention that it is available from many spice retailers. As an important ingredient, cream of tartar’s price gives one the value of his money as a small container will last for quite some time. This is because only a small amount is needed to achieve desired results.
What are the extra costs?
- Like most baking goods, there are no known extra costs that one should consider in buying creams of tartar. However, if one chooses to buy the said product in some online stores, he should be prepared to pay extra fees for the delivery or shipping. As we all know, online stores rarely offer free shipping. But still, you can find deals that will offer free shipping.
- No matter the reason of your purpose, there are going to be other items and ingredients needed. None of these others will be included in the price of cream of tartar sauce.
Factors that affect the price:
- Brand. As reiterated above, there are differences in prices in most brands of cream of tartar. Other brands charge at around $1.5 to $2.00 per ounce while others go beyond that price range.
- Location. This can be a determinant of the price, most especially if you opt to buy your cream of tartar online. As we all know, the shipping fees will be determined by the exact location of the buyer.
- Size. The size of the bottle or package will determine the price. While the larger packages cost more upon first glance, you will usually get a smaller price per ounce when you buy large containers.
Tips to know:
- As per Wisegeek.org, white vinegar or lemon juice can be substituted for cream of tartar, but it takes about three times more vinegar to produce the right amount of acidity.
- Cream of tartar can also be a good substitute for baking powder. One can mix cream of tartar and baking soda to do this. However, one must use caution when trying this. The cream of tartar will mimic the action of baking powder, which is actually formed from these two compounds.
- The most common foods that use cream of tartar are meringue pies, snickerdoodle cookies, and souffles.
How can I save money?
- Shop around in different stores and for different brands. Whether you do your shopping online or offline, you must check out different brands first and compare their prices in order for you to get the best prices that suit your budget.
- You can also take advantage of the discounts given by most online stores to orders done by bulk. If you are running a food business that uses cream of tartar very often, this is just but a favorable option for you.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.