How Much Does an Engine Mount Cost?
An engine mount, which is made of either rubber or steel, will serve two purposes. For starters, it’s going to secure the engine and transmission to the frame of the car. Secondly, it helps absorb the road shocks so that the driver won’t feel any engine vibrations or movement. Today, most cars will have multiple engine mounts, and if the mount breaks, you will be able to feel the engine shifting around.
How much does it cost?
- In the forums of Benzworld.org, the costs for both engine mounts and the transmission mounts range roughly around $250 to $600. These prices can vary according to the cost of living in your area, the type of car you drive, and the mechanic you take your car to. Keep in mind that there are the prices for the mounts only and not the installation.
- Transmission mounts usually cost $80-$100 per mount.
What is going to be included?
- After you purchase the engine mount for your vehicle, you need to replace the older one immediately. The engine mount that you purchase will come with all the parts needed to install it as well as instructions for installation.
- Most manufacturers will offer some type of limited warranty on the product.
What are the extra costs?
- Labor. The prices of the mounts may look fairly low upon first glance. However, labor is another cost that must be taken into consideration. Sometimes the labor doubles the costs of your engine mount replacement. The process of replacing mounts usually takes a few hours. Plan on spending around $200 to as much as $600 for both parts and labor.
- Shipping. If you order mounts through the internet, you can find those which offer free shipping. However, there are sites that have their customers shoulder the shipping expenses. That is why you should see to it that what you add to your cart offers free shipment. You might be surprised to know that you pay more for the shipping than the unit itself.
Factors that influence the price:
- Make and model of the car. Most of the time, the more expensive the vehicle, the more expensive the parts are going to be. For example, if you drive a older vehicle you may find that the repair and parts of it would be cheaper compared to a Mercedes Benz.
- Location. If you live an isolated location, you may find that the prices of engine mounts are relatively higher than the usual. This is because there is not much competition among the dealers or mechanics in the area.
Tips to know:
- When replacing motor mounts, it is recommended that you replace all of them at once. Since motor mounts usually wear at about the same rate, it is not recommended to change one at a time.
- When you have a bad engine mount, it is advised not to continue driving it because severe problems may occur. Transmission problems and exhaust leaks are just two of the serious troubles which you car may experience. Not to mention that your accelerator cable may engage the throttle, causing the gas pedal to stick. It is best to spend a few hundred dollars now rather than thousands down the road.
- If your car is still under warranty, you may be covered for this type of job. If you are unsure of what your warranty covers or if it is still in effect, be sure to check with your warranty to company or the dealer where you purchased the car.
- If you decide to purchase the part on the internet, you will want to keep in mind that most dealers and mechanics will not guarantee the work. Saving money on the part means that a warranty on the installation may not be involved.
- There are many shops that will make you purchase the mount through them if you want to have them work on your car. The majority of shops will not install an item that is not from their supply.
How can I save money?
- It is advised that you purchase the mount on the internet since it is known that the prices are relatively cheaper than the retail prices you will pay from a dealer or even a local mechanic. Most reputable mechanics are more than happy to take your parts and install them for you.
- If you are capable, it is alright to do the mounts on your own. It may be a laborious job, but you will be able to save money. DIYAutoTech has a YouTube video online that can assist you with the issue.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.