How Much Does an Enhanced Drivers License Cost?
The enhanced driver license, also known as an “EDL,” is a convenient drivers license that acts in conjunction with the Homeland Security Department. With this type of drivers license, drivers will be able to cross the borders from the United States to Canada without any passport. Keep in mind that this license is only available in a handful of states today. These states include Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington State.
How much is it?
- The cost of an enhanced drivers license is only available in the states mentioned above. Since the state is the only legal option that you can choose, the prices are fixed. Noted in the chart below is what you are going to have to pay in each particular state. Remember, you will have to be a resident of this state to obtain one:
- According to the DMV.org, the price of a drivers license can range from $15 to $30 on top of your drivers license cost.
$20 more than standard license
$30 more than standard license
$25 more than standard license
$15 more than standard license
SEE: How much does a drivers license cost? to see what a license will cost in your state.
What is going to be included?
- An enhanced driver’s license will only work with land and sea border travel. This type of driver’s license will not work with air travel. In the United States, you can only cross into Canada with this type of license, not Mexico. Provinces include British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.
- Each license will have a small radio frequent chip that will help identify you as you cross the border. With this information, border patrol will be able to use its database to receive crucial biographic and biometric information. No personal information is stored on the chip, but instead, a unique ID will match the officer up with your information inside of an encrypted database.
- The license will be slightly different than a standard drivers license. On the top of the license, it will be printed with “enhanced” rather than the traditional lettering.
- If you would like to see what this type of license looks like in your state, GetYouHome.gov has a list of each state with a detailed picture and description.
What are the extra costs?
- Remember, this license is only available to those who want to travel by land. If you plan on traveling by air, a passport will be required. (See: “How much does a passport cost?“) A passport can easily start at $100 and go up from there depending upon your age.
- A protected slip is highly recommended when carrying you license to protect it from getting damaged. This protective slip will also protect any would-be thieves from stealing your information.
Tips to know:
- More and more states may be working on this program; as of right now, however, the states mentioned above are the only ones that have a program set in motion. The states that are in the works of creating the program include California, Arizona and Texas.
- Specific forms of identification will be required in order to get this type of license at your local DMV office. This usually includes a birth certificate and social security card.
- You must be 18 years or older and a resident of the state in which you are looking to apply. Failing to meet these requirements will result in denial.
How can I save money?
- An enhanced driver’s license is only worth the money to those who cross the border on a regular basis. While a passport may be more expensive, it works for all other countries, not just Canada. If you have a passport, an EDL is an unnecessary cost. If you are going to travel to multiple countries, an EDL would not help you.