How Much Does Evaporated Milk Cost?
Evaporated milk is made by removing water from fresh milk and then heating what remains. This type of milk is very creamy, has a darker color and is richer in taste than regular milk. Evaporated milk is widely used in cooking, baking or as a beverage creamer.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a can of evaporated milk is going to range anywhere from $0.50 to $1.50 per can. These cans will be about 12 fluid ounces.
- A 12 fluid ounce can of Wegman’s Evaporated Milk at the Wegman’s Northborough, MA store costs $0.89.
What is going to be included?
- Evaporated milk is fresh, healthful milk from which 60% of the water has been taken out through slow heat. Evaporated milk products are usually bought in cans of different sizes and in different variants such as Fat-Free. Depending on the purchase, they can be bought singly or in packs. Some products come in packs of 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 or 24, depending on the manufacturer’s packaging options.
- Evaporated milk can be made from pasteurized whole goat milk. This option is suitable for individuals who are allergic to cow’s milk and soy products. Evaporated goat milk is regarded as easier to process by the digestive system due to the softer and smaller casein curd.
- Many people believe that there is no difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk, but this is not true. Using the wrong one in a recipe can make a huge difference in the taste of the food product. Evaporated milk does not have any sweeteners added, while condensed milk is sweetened. The difference is simply procedure: evaporated milk has 60% of the water removed, while condensed milk contains about 40% sugar before it is heated and condensed.
What are the extra costs?
- Buying evaporated milk online can often entail shipping charges. The fees depend on the quantity and amount of the order as well as the type of shipment chosen. At Amazon.com, for example, standard shipping for evaporated milk is $4.99 per shipment and $0.75 per lb. For two-day shipping, the fee per shipment is $10.00 while the charge per item is $0.99 per lb. For the one-day shipping option, the fee is $17.99 per shipment and $1.99 per lb.
Tips to know:
- The most common ingredients used in evaporated milk include milk, dipotassium phosphate, carrageenan, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, and folic acid.
- Refrigerate the evaporated milk after opening, and transfer the contents to another container before storing the milk. Make sure to use the product within a few days.
- Always check the expiration date to ensure freshness of the contents.
- Evaporated milk products have a shelf life of months to years, depending on the fat and sugar content.
- It can be used as a substitute for any recipe that calls for milk by simply adding an equal amount of water. For instance, if a recipe calls for one cup of milk, mix one-half cup of evaporated milk with a one-half cup of water to get the right consistency.
- This milk has the same health benefits as regular milk so substituting it should not make a big difference.
- Evaporated milk can be used as a replacement for condensed milk in many different recipes, but the one that you choose is simply based on preference and sometimes the recipe itself.
- Evaporated milk and condensed milk are only two of the options you have when baking. You could also use real whole milk, goat’s milk, coconut milk, soy milk, or cream. This just depends on the recipe and personal preference.
How can I save money?
- Order in bulk to benefit from volume pricing. Most online suppliers offer lower rates for orders exceeding the minimum requirement.
- Compare prices from one source to another to find the most affordable price offered.