How Much Does an External Hard Drive Cost?
External hard drives are designed to be used on the go. Similar to a thumb drive, these hard drives can simply connect to your computer and/or laptop with a simple USB connector cord.
How much does it cost?
- On average, an external hard drive is going to cost anywhere from as little as $80 to as much as $160. However, refurbished drives can cost less than 50% of that. The costs will be based on the brand and the amount of storage.
- PCMag.com claims that a TB of storage should cost no more than $100.
- For example, at Bestbuy.com, you can purchase a refurbished external hard drive for as low as $45.
- The popular #1 seller, WD MY Passport External Hard Drive with a TB worth of storage, retails for $70 to $85 on Amazon.
What is going to be included?
- There are two types of external drives, namely: the 3.5-inch for desktop computers and the 2.5-inch for laptops.
- The external solid-state drives, or SSDs, are commonly found in laptops; although today, these are still relatively rare due to the price per gigabyte.
- Each external hard drive should come with some type of warranty to cover manufacturer defects.
- An external hard drive allows you to securely store important information, or back up your documents from the main internal or built-in hard drive.
- Since an external hard drive is portable, you can operate it on a plug-and-play basis with other compatible computers, which can recognize the external drive as a storage device. External drives will connect via a USB port and most computers will recognize the drive instantly. External hard drives typically come as one of three kinds of connectors, including USB, USB 2.0 or FireWire.
- An external hard drive will have a capacity that includes 500 GB, 1 TB, 2TB or 3 TB.
- Popular brands include Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and LaCie. Most of these brands should include a limited warranty that lasts a few years.
- An external hard drive that has been refurbished means that it someone purchased it and it malfunctioned, but it has been repaired by the manufacturer and approved for sale. There will be a limited manufacturer’s warranty included.
What are the extra costs?
- If you order an external hard drive online, you may have to pay for shipping and handling fees separately.
- If the hard drive does not come with backup software, it is highly recommended that you consider the purchase. These type of software will automatically backup data from your computer.
- Because an external hard drive is portable, you will need something in which you can carry it. If you have a laptop bag, it can easily be carried in one of the pockets. If not, you should consider getting a sleeve to put the hard drive in when you are transporting it.
Factors that influence the price:
- As the size of the hard drive increases, the per-byte storage becomes cheaper.
- Different brands have their respective price range. The store from which you purchased your external hard drive also matters in the pricing scheme.
Tips to know:
- With a portable hard drive, you can easily and safely transfer your files from your computer to the external drive or from the portable device to your computer.
- Normally, the modern external hard drives have an IEEE 1394 FireWire connection or a USB.
- An external hard drive is superior to flash memory in terms of cost per gigabyte (GB).
- A terabyte is enough to hold more than 750,000 MP3s or photographs, or more than 230 DVD-sized movies.
- If your concern is to store Word, Excel, or simple documents only, you will do well with a smaller external hard drive. But, if you are saving a lot of music, video, and photographs, you need to consider a higher capacity drive.
How can I save money?
- Buy a drive that is slightly bigger than required so that you do not have to worry about upgrading in the future.
- Determine first what you actually need before buying the appropriate external hard drive that would best cater to your needs. Since most drives are cheap today, it does not hurt to purchase as much storage as possible.
- Check online for prices and compare with the local stores near you.
- When purchasing online, be sure to look for promotions and even search for coupon codes.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.