How Much Do Folding Patio Doors Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
These doors offer the opportunity to open up the home to the outdoors in a large area. Folding patio doors are widely used in homes with limited space.
Highly popular in Europe and Australia, this type of door is recognized for its ability to maximize the use of indoor or outdoor space and update the home with an outdoor room appearance.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a folding patio door system is going to cost anywhere from $600 to $1,100 per linear foot. The costs will depend on the contractor installing the door, the type of door being installed and where the door is being purchased from.
- According to The Right Window Company, folding sliding doors can cost about $700 to $1,000 per linear foot.
What is going to be included?
- Folding patio doors refer to a bank of doors attached together using wheels installed along an overhead track that is secured to the framing. The bottom track of the unit is built with guides that roll the door panels. Since each door is hinged, the whole system can be opened in an accordion-style and folded together into one panel at the edge of the row. Folding patio doors can be split in the middle and fold a couple doors on each side, or they can all be folded to the same side. This will depend on personal preference as well as the set up of the home.
- Folding patio doors can be made using wood, steel, fiberglass, or aluminum. The glass in the doors can be etched or it can be an ornamental type. It can also feature wooden boards attached for a conventional home appearance or it can be installed in a contemporary manner.
- There are patio door specifications that need to be considered before having a system installed in your home. These include R-Value, U-Factor, Low-E Windows and UV Coating. All these specifications determine the types of tests that the folding patio door system has passed. Also, when choosing a folding patio door, the following elements should be taken into consideration: Krypton or Argon gas in between the frames, condensation treatments, insulated frames, multipoint rollers, locking screen, fusion welding, and Energy Star certification.
- With most service providers, a deposit may be required and the balance paid after completion of a project. A folding patio door can be installed within weeks or up to a year, depending on the service provider, the customizations requested, and other factors.
What are the extra costs?
- Installation of the door can be billed separately, depending on the supplier. Labor rates vary from one location to another. To get an exact installation quote, consider getting multiple quotes for free from HomeAdvisor.com.
- Because a folding patio door system allows so much exposure to your home, it is highly advised that you have a security system installed as well. Otherwise, you could be very vulnerable to break-ins.
- You may want to think about curtains and/or blinds for your folding patio doors. However, you will have to be very careful about the ones that you choose since they will need to be able to withstand the folding of the doors.
Factors that influence the price:
- Material. Folding patio doors can be obtained in different materials. The price of a system is usually dependent on the type of material used, which can be wood, steel or fiberglass. The type of glass that is used will also affect the cost since some types of glass are stronger and more durable than others.
- Features. There are various features that folding patio doors come with. Units with stained glass are more expensive than those that use regular glass. Patio doors created with energy-efficient features can likewise be costly upfront.
- Custom work. Some folding patio doors can be bought prefabricated.
Tips to know:
- Installation of folding patio doors often requires door and window professionals and is usually not suitable as a weekend project.
- There should be proper weather sealing, so the right track system must be selected out of the variety of track systems offered in the market today.
- Choose a folding patio door that matches the weather conditions in your locality.
- Check the patio door warranty. Manufacturers who produce durable units usually offer more than 10 years of coverage against regular wear.
- Since a folding patio door system is already pretty expensive, you might as well not skimp on the extras and get the most durable glass and materials you can.
- The more durable and weather-resistant units have passed tests that exceed normal pressure stress, making them efficient units.
How can I save money?
- Save money on shipping by buying a folding patio door from a local seller offering free pickup.
- Ask about suppliers offering folding patio doors that come with a lifetime warranty for certain components.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.