How Much Do French Doors Cost?
A French door can come in a variety of sizes, types and materials, making it extremely easy for a homeowner to find a door that fits their overall home’s theme.
How much does it cost?
- Average expenses that you should expect to pay for French doors with installation would usually be $1,000 to around $2,000. These are prices for a basic door and installation job. The price can go up if higher-end doors are purchased, and the cost of the doors can be higher if you have to special order some.
- The cost of the French doors would be dependent on the materials used. However, the common cost for the doors alone is usually $300 to $900.
- Higher end doors can be around $1,000 to as high as $3,000. Higher-end doors tend to have triple doors and are made of a higher quality material.
What is going to be included?
- If you want to really get attractive and beautiful French doors, then you expect to get the structured designs that are intricate from the outside down to the inside. Conventional types of doors would more than often have double pane glass that promotes better energy efficiency. This is because its thickness is able to prevent the outside heat from penetrating inside, and because there is mixture of air between the panels to help reduce the heat that escapes. For more information on how double pane windows are made, see “How Much Does a Double Pane Window Cost?”
- Typically, the installation costs will be optional. There are some brands that offer installation as part of the basic costs for which you have to pay.
- A professional installation job should take no longer than a day to complete. If a new wall and frame has to be formed, it could take up to two days.
What are the extra costs?
- If installation is not a part of the initial price, then you might have to pay to have the doors added to your home. Plan on spending around $200 to $600 for the installation depending on the complexity of the job. To find a qualified contractor and receive free quotes in your area, consider online services such as HomeAdvisor.com.
- Extra expenses should be expected if there are repairs or restructuring that needs to be done, such as adding a new frame to a room.
- Usually, for the more complex and complicated installation procedures, you should expect to add around 5 to 20 percent to the initial cost.
- Lower cost French doors may come unstained. Factor in a few extra dollars for staining or painting to your liking.
Factors that influence the price:
- Among the first things that you need to look into are the features that the French doors offer. This means better absorption of heat and the overall designs that it has. Basically, the more intricate the patterns the doors have, the higher the costs will be.
- The materials of which the doors are made will be a major basis for how much they will cost. The more durable the materials, the higher the cost and price of the French doors will be.
- Installation costs would also be a major aspect that affects that the basic price of the French doors.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money on the French doors is to check with various vendors. With so many hardware stores out there that sell basic French doors, it is best to compare a handful of models and also take a look at them in person. By doing so, you are bound to get the best deal possible.
- Many companies provide on-site free estimates. Call around and talk with those that are willing to come out to give a free estimate.
- When purchasing French doors, try to choose one that is in stock. Choosing to design your own or choosing one that needs to be special ordered will raise the price a significant amount.