How Much Does a Glider Plane Cost?
A glider plane is a type of aircraft that relies on the air current to lift its wings rather than an engine to make it fly. There are several types of glider planes, but the main two types are used for either recreation or for transportation. Recreational glider planes can usually be purchased at hobby stores, and depending on the type of glider, it can be a simply step up from a paper airplane or can be a more complex glider resembling a remote control plane. A glider plane that is used for transportation is meant to fly much like a normal plane except without the use of an engine.
There are similarities between gliders and planes with engines, but there are also many differences. For example, the cockpit of a glider plane is quite small, seating only one or two people. Second, the wings of a glider plane are longer and thinner than those of a conventional airplane. The moving parts of the wings, which are the same as those on an engine airplane, are maneuvered by a control stick that is situated between the pilot’s legs within the cockpit. These parts allow the plane to turn, rise, and fall as the pilot desires. Finally, a glider plane has landing gear like a normal plane. However, to reduce the weight of the plane, a glider only has one wheel that is released below the cockpit. The wind helps to keep the plane balanced on the wheel when landing to avoid dragging and damaging the plane.
How much is it?
- If you are looking for glider planes that can be used as toy for recreational purposes, these are usually up to 12 inches in wingspan. These can be thrown much like a paper airplane or started off like a kite. Some of these planes are referred to as catapult glider planes; these are launched using a rubber band, like sling shot. The price of this plane can range anywhere from $4 to $10 depending on how big the plane is.
- For instance, a 12 pack of glider planes made from a foam substance can retail for $4 to $7 for the entire pack.
- If you are looking for life sized glider planes that can be used for transport and other purposes, you will find that there are various types of plane such as rotary engine planes. Glider plane being used for transportation purposes can cost anywhere from $12,000 to as much as $100,000. Most purchases can be between the $10,000 to $45,000 mark, if purchased used.
- Barnstormers.com is an online website that offers glider planes such as the schweizer sgu. Most of the planes being sold at this website are previously owned. They are cheaper compared to brand new glider planes and the current owners post the condition of the glider planes for potential buyers . The prices of the planes offered in this site can range anywhere from $2,200 to $10,000.
What is going to be included?
- For glider planes used for hobby, the package will contain all the necessary parts of the plane needed to assemble it. Instruction manuals will be included with the product to guide you on how to operate the glider plane. There may even be spare parts in case the plane crashes.
- The glider plane designed for transport has manufacturer’s warranty. The length of the warranty will depend on the makers of the plane.
What are the extra costs?
- You would not be able to operate a glider plane without the assistance of a pilot. If you hire a pilot, he will charge and it is considered to be an additional cost. You can also become a licensed pilot; however, this will only be worth it if you fly very often. See: “How much does a pilot license cost?”
- Like any transportation, maintenance will be required in the future to make sure that it stays in tip top shape.
- If you are using glider planes for recreational purposes, they will need to be replaced quite often. The materials from which they are made need to be light, and are therefore likely to break after extended use.
Tips to know:
- Glider planes do not have the ability of prolonged flight since they depend on the air to life the wings. However, there are glider planes that have engines as well. This allows for prolonged flight since the engine can be used to propel the plane when needed.
How can I save money?
- You can save money by deciding on a specific model plane that you want and then searching for prices of that plane through different sites. They may come up with a price lower than the competition, which is good for you since you will be able to buy the most affordable glider plane.
- If you do not have the money to purchase a glider but would like to try one, there are many services that allow you to rent a glider for the day or go for a ride with another pilot.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.