How Much Does a Glucometer Cost?
A glucometer is a medical device that determines the concentration of glucose in the blood. A glucometer is used mainly by people who suffer from diabetes, a dangerous medical condition that takes thousands of lives every year. People who have diabetes have either abnormally high levels of sugar in the blood (diabetic) or unusually low levels of sugar in the blood (hypoglycemic). Keeping track of sugar levels in the blood has been resolved with the help of a glucometer.
How much is it?
- The cost of a glucometer will depend on where it’s purchased, the brand, features, size and if insurance is involved. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $4 to as much as $80 for a device.
- For instance, the Bayer’s Contour Blood Glucose Monitoring System retails for $5 to $10. A higher-end model such as the FreeStyle Lite Blood Glucose System retails for $30 to $40.
- A glucometer that has a micro filter sample size and has alternate site testing and 500 test memory capability can cost $35 to $40.
- If you want detailed information regarding the type of glucometer that you need, you can visit sites of drugstores such as Walgreens. They have a web program which would determine the type of glucometer that is best for you. They also sell test strips which are needed to test the blood. The price of the glucometer sold on this site can range anywhere from $30 to $40.
What is going to be included?
- There are several items included with the glucometer package since each of these items is necessary to properly use the machine and get the results. You will be able to get a meter, contour solutions, strips and a lancing device. You will also get warranty, instructions as well as the case of the glucometer.
- Depending on the brand, each glucometer can have its own accuracy. For instance, the higher-end models allow you to download the results directly on the computer. With these results, you can monitor them and show them to your doctor.
What are the extra costs?
- Although there are contour solutions, test strips and lancing device included with the package, you will still have to purchase them separately since the package only contains a limited number of these items. Over time, they will run out.
- If you are unable to control your diabetes with proper nutrition and eating habits, insulin injections may be necessary. These can be taken at home and are usually needed on a daily basis. The needles and bottle of insulin will be an extra cost, but may be covered by insurance depending on your plan.
Tips to know:
- It is a good idea to have a glucometer stored in your house especially if you have diabetes. Glucometers are very resilient and can last many years if taken care of properly.
- Make sure you investigate the features in each glucometer before making your decision. Some meters can store up to 500 past readings so you can track your levels over time rather than just for one day. Some meters needs a large drop of blood while others need only a small pinprick. Some meters run on batteries that need to be replaced, while others may be rechargeable.
- If you suspect that you have diabetes, make an appointment with your doctor right away. The symptoms of diabetes are light headedness, fatigue, increased hunger and thirst, and frequent urination. The two main types of diabetes: juvenile and adult-onset. Your body makes a compound called insulin as a way to balance your blood levels. In juvenile diabetes, your body simply does not produce enough insulin. This will need to be supplemented by getting insulin injections. Adult-onset diabetes occurs when the body produces the insulin, but the blood does not use it correctly. There is also gestational diabetes, which occurs when a pregnant woman suffers from diabetes throughout her pregnancy only.
How can I save money?
- Glucometer are not that expensive, and you can buy the complete pack at the start and then you can buy the additional items necessary later on. You can also consider stocking additional glucometers so you can use them at a later time in case your main one breaks down.
- There are stores that offer the product at a discounted price; you can hunt them down to make sure that you save even a little bit. Some stores offer bulk packages which allow you to save as well. For instance, many pharmacies and stores will have coupons and sales of which you can take advantage to save.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.