How Much Does Gouda Cheese Cost?
Gouda cheese is one of the most sought-after kinds of gourmet cheese. It is exported by the Netherlands, but only when they know that the cheese has the ideal flavor and texture in order to uphold the reputation of this cheese. If at all available in other countries, it is most likely made by Dutch farmers who have migrated and decided to continue with tradition.
How much does it cost?
- Gouda cheese is sold as aged cheese. There are usually two categories of age in cheese. For this particular cheese, you can either have cheese aged for a number of months or a number of years. Gouda cheese is usually sold be the pound. On average, a pound of Gouda cheese in select supermarkets sells for $12-$20.
- A rare vintage Gouda that is aged over 5 years can cost anywhere from $17 to $25 for a pound. It is not sold in any other quantity and is best served alone so as not to overpower other kinds of cheese.
- According to Diffen.com, a pound of gouda costs $7.25 for the plain version while the extra-sharp aged cheese retails for $16.99.
- A cheese and deli website, which sells over 150 varieties of cheeses, sells Aged Gouda (Old Amsterdam) at the same price for $16.99 per pound.
- Another delicatessen, Gourmet-Food.com, sells Old Amsterdam cheese at slightly higher prices. They sell, cut, and wrap this gourmet cheese in wedges of 8 ounces and 1 pound. The 1 pound cut sells at $18 and the 8 ounces retails for $9.
What is going to be included?
- Gouda cheese has high fat content, creating a creamy buttery texture that melts, crumbles, and shreds easily, making it a favorite for sandwiches, sauces and soups. It is rich in Vitamin K2, a vitamin of which we rarely get sufficient quantities in our regular diet; therefore, Gouda cheese provides big help in strengthening our immune system and slowing down the aging process.
- Gouda cheese is usually sold in specialty cheese shops and can be plain or flavored with herbs, spices and pepper, or smoked. Classified as aged cheese, it is labeled as mild or strong.
- Gouda cheese is usually sold wrapped in wax grind after it is cut to your preference. This wrap needs to be removed before eating.
- As Gouda cheese ages, its taste becomes sharper and more complex and its color darkens.
- Gouda cheese is often sold smoked and contains flavors such as pepper and jalapenos. These items are added to the cheese while it is being manufactured by dairy producers.
What are the extra costs?
- An aged version of this cheese is more expensive because of the particular taste and texture achieved through the aging process.
- If you are purchasing this type of cheese online, many retailers want to have it at your door within 24 hours. Because of this, additional shipping fees may apply.
Factors that influence the price:
- The price of Gouda cheese depends on the maturity of the cheese. Aged cheese is sold at higher prices than young cheese. But even plain Gouda cheese is more expensive than regular cheese products available in stores.
Tips to know:
- Aged Gouda cheese is not released by dairy producers into the market until it has attained the perfect flavor and texture associated with its name. If you are purchasing Gouda cheese, you can be sure that you are getting a high quality product.
How can I save money?
- Buying products in bigger quantities lowers the price if computed individually.
- Some online stores offer free ground and home delivery on orders that total more than $75.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.