How Much Does a Harley Oil Change Cost?
A Harley oil change is an important maintenance service that keeps the motorcycle efficient and in good running condition. As with any typical oil change job, changing the oil in a Harley involves replacing the old oil, making sure that all components are working.
How much does it cost?
- A harley oil change cost usually depends on where the job is done, the type of Harley bike being serviced and the number of quarts of oil is used. According to most who have taken their motorcycle to an authorized dealer, they paid anywhere from $70 to $130 for an oil change.
- Harley-Davidson USA provides a range of motorcycle oils and fluids that cost $7.95 to $22.95. Air and oil filters cost $7.95 to $44.95. This is for the parts only.
- Beach House Harley Davidson charges anywhere from $96 to $120 for an oil change.
What is going to be included?
- A Harley oil change is necessary in maintaining the performance and efficiency of the vehicle. Oil change is a maintenance service typically done at least every year or every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Harley-Davidson creates a maintenance schedule and standard service intervals for all the motorcycles it manufactures. Each year, family and sometimes the model has its own specific maintenance schedule, which is based upon 5,000 mile intervals. The maintenance schedules are developed to help owners preserve the condition of their motorcycles and to protect their warranty.
- An oil change job basically entails draining old oil, putting in new one, and replacing components when necessary. When the oil is changed, the oil filter also needs to be replaced with a new one to ensure that it functions smoothly.
What are the extra costs?
- A basic oil change does not necessarily call for extra expenses unless other problems with the motorcycle are found and repairs or replacements are necessary. Some shops may recommend tire change or tire rotation, which can add around $40 to the overall cost.
- If the bike needs a scheduled mile service, which is often recommended at 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000, this service can cost upwards of $300 to $500 to perform.
Tips to know:
- Scheduled maintenance can help keep the efficiency of any vehicle and can help in minimizing unexpected and often costly mechanical breakdowns.
- When finding a repair shop to service your Harley, be sure that they are knowledgeable about your motorcycle make and that they do not specialize in just one type of motorcycle. Have a scheduled maintenance performed on your Harley by a factory-trained technician who uses genuine Harley-Davidson parts to service your unit.
How can I save money?
- Perform a Harley oil change as a DIY project. Refer to your owner’s manual for the specific maintenance schedule for your motorcycle. Go online and find suppliers of genuine Harley oil and filter. Check for any ongoing sale or any available coupon codes you can use during purchase. Many vendors offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount. You can also opt for in-store pickup to save on shipping.
- If you choose to have a professional conduct a Harley oil change for you, be sure to do research first and find where the most practical deals are. In many cases, independent shops and retail chains charge less than dealerships.
- If you insist on getting an oil change at a local dealer, look for specials or coupons before taking it in.