How Much Does a Hot Chocolate Cost?
Hot chocolate is made from melted chocolate mixed with some amount of hot milk or water. You can either purchase this at a local coffee shop or make it at home with a packet or using homemade ingredients.
How much does it cost?
- For standard hot chocolate envelopes, such as Swiss Miss and Nestle, the average box of 10 can retail for $1.50 to $3.
- Premium hot chocolate, on the other hand, can retail for $7 to $18 for a 16-ounce container. These containers can come in a powder form and not in individual packets. For example, this Ghiradelli Hot Chocolate 16 ounce container retails for $11 to $15.
- If you are to prepare your hot chocolate at home, you have to buy your own chocolate or cocoa powder. According to Whittard.com, 375 grams of hot chocolate powder in a can costs $9.25. The chocolate powder comes in many flavor blending.
- McDonalds sells ready to drink hot chocolate as part of their McCafé. The price of Mc Café Hot Chocolate varies on its size. It costs $2.00 for small, $3.99 for a medium and $4.69 for a large.
- You can also buy Hot Chocolate on local coffee shops near your place for $1 to $2, on average.
- CanadianFavourites.com posted that a 1.8 kilogram package of Cadbury Hot Chocolate costs $19.69.
What is going to be included?
- Preparing your own hot chocolate will require you to have your own ingredients like milk solids, cream, spices and others. It is easy to prepare because instant hot chocolate is available but if you really want to make your own, you have to give more time spending on developing your own hot chocolate. The taste of your hot chocolate will depend on your recipe and personal preferences.
- Hot chocolate will either come in individual envelopes or with premium blends, it may just come in a container that you can take out with a tablespoon. When making this type of hot chocolate, you may need to add hot water or hot milk, whatever the instructions call for.
- If you order hot chocolate from a restaurant or coffee shop, it will usually come with whipped cream on top, and possibly even chocolate shavings. This hot chocolate can be made with non-fat milk if you would like to save some fat and calories.
- With the popularity of the Keurig coffee maker, there are many people who purchase the K-cups of hot chocolate. These can come in difference flavors and brands, and can be used in the Keurig to make an individual cup of hot chocolate.
What are the extra costs?
- If you are to make your own hot chocolate, your extra costs are the costs of the ingredients that are needed for you to make your hot chocolate. This can include milk, whipped cream, etc.
- Hot chocolate in coffee shops and fast food can add extra costs when you request more special flavorings, such as adding caramel, milk, spices or others.
Factors that influence the price:
- Size. The price of hot chocolate in coffee shops varies because of the size. As you choose to increase the size, the price gets higher.
- Flavor. You can always choose the flavor of your hot chocolate whether it be from a coffee shop or made in powdered form. The price varies on how the flavor blending fluctuates.
- Popularity. You will pay more if you buy hot chocolate from Starbucks or McDonald’s rather than buying from local coffee shops. Same goes with the cocoa powder, the brand name matters. If it is of the famous brand, you will probably be charged a higher price.
Tips to know:
- If you would like to keep your hot chocolate warm for as long as possible, you can purchase different types of insulated cups. These also make it easier to carry the hot chocolate since most of them are very sturdy and spill resistant. These can also be made in many designs to suit your personality.
How can I save money?
- When making your own hot chocolate, you have to prepare your desired amount. Do not make excessive hot chocolate if you are not sure that you are going to drink all of it.
- With coffee shops and local fast food restaurants, be on the lookout for coupons and special promotions.
- Buying instant hot chocolate powder can help you save a lot because hot chocolate powders come in different flavor categories and tend to be the cheapest on the store shelves.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.