How Much Do Fake Diamonds Cost?
Fake diamonds can be placed in rings, necklaces and many other items that regular diamonds can be placed in for a fraction of the cost.
How much is it?
- A fake diamond should cost no more than $5 to $10 on its own. A piece of jewelry with a fake diamond shouldn’t cost any more than $200; however, some rings can be close to $1,000 if it’s set in white gold or uses gold. This jewelry cost will depend on the type of setting, the quality, the manufacturer and retailer. Just because the diamond is fake, it doesn’t mean the setting will be cheaply made. Refer to our table below for some jewelry samples and what you may pay.
- For instance, these Sterling Silver Zirconia Hoop Earrings with fake diamonds cost $15 to $30. These 7MM clear cubic set of earrings cost about $7 to $18.
- Those who just want to purchase fake diamonds with no jewelry should be prepared to pay $7 to $17 per pound. For example, this 2-pound bag of 20 carat clear acrylic diamonds cost $15 to $25 a bag.
- Watches that have fake diamonds encrusted in the band can cost $15 to $150.
|Type of Jewelry||Cost|
|Black Cubic Zirconia Surrounded By Round CZs Surrounded By Sterling Silver||$85|
|Emerald Cut Cubic Zirconia Ring in Sterling Silver Setting||$65|
|Round Cubic Vintage Zirconia Ring||$50|
|Round CZ Ring Set in a White, Silver-Plated Metal||$35|
|Round Moissanite Ring Set in a 14K White||$300|
|Round Moissanite Ring Set in a 14K White||$800|
|Square Shaped Cubic Zirconia In a Sterling Silver Mounting||$40|
What is going to be included?
- A fake diamond will be made from a material that’s designed to resemble a real diamond. The biggest difference, however, is the physical and chemical properties. On the market, you will find the materials will vary.
- Common types of fake diamonds are going to include a cubic zirconia, white sapphire, moissanite, white topaz and rhinestone. The cubic zirconia, which has the look of a diamond, is classified as a diamond simulant. This tends to be the most popular type on the market. A white sapphire is another popular alternative and is colorless. Even though it isn’t as hard as a diamond, it is harder than the cubic zirconia. Moissanite is a rarer material, and most of the time, diamonds used from this material will be generated in a lab. It has more color and tends to sparkle, something other fake diamond material doesn’t do. White topaz is just that — white, but it can be more prone to damage.
- Depending on what is purchased, a piece of jewelry may come included with a manufacturer warranty. This will last anywhere from 1 to 5 years.
- Fake diamonds can often be found at department stores, QVC or even online jewelers.
What are the extra costs?
- To have a fake diamond customized to fit a particular ring can cost about $30 to $50.
- Any jewelry modifications can result in additional costs. When choosing a setting, however, experts recommend considering a silver or white gold.
Tips to know:
- In order to find out if the diamond is a true fake, be sure to ask about the originality of the diamond. Ask them where it came from and what they know about it.
- Fake diamonds can often scratch up as well as show a lot more wear and tear compared to a regular, real diamond. If you come across a diamond that has been banged up a lot, it’s a rather good chance that it’s a fake.
- A fake diamond will have more of a machine cut, rather than a natural cut. When comparing a real stone, most are going to be able to note the differences.
- With most jewelers, ask to see a real and fake. Most of them will be more than happy to allow you to compare to show you what the differences are.
- To keep the diamonds looking fresh, a cleaner may be required, but it isn’t always necessary.
- Pay close attention to the size. While it’s tempting to purchase a larger ring, carrying around a heavy fake diamond on your finger can be uncomfortable. Plus, if it’s too big, most people will be able to tell it’s fake from a distance.
How can I save money?
- As always, shop around. Try to compare prices with at least three stores. Don’t forget to check the store’s reputation and return policy.