How Much Does Kumon Learning Center Cost?
Kumon is a learning franchise that has locations across the United States. It offers a tutoring service for children based on the philosophy of repetition and self-motivated learning. These programs, held after school, focuses on the Kumon worksheets.
How much is it?
- Before a child can enroll in the class, the center will charge a one-time enrollment fee. This fee is about $50 to $80 per student.
- The monthly fees will be about $9 to $140 per student, per subject. This will cover two lessons a week at a local Kumon center. If you were to take advantage of both subjects — reading and math — the costs would be $260 per month. Each franchised center will have its own pricing. Refer to a local center to get exact quotes.
What is going to be included?
- The tuition fees, as stated above, will include two sessions at a local Kumon Center. It will also include the necessary Kumon worksheets. Each session will last 30 minutes for one subject or one hour for both subjects.
- Before the classes begin, a tutor will meet with you and discuss your child’s needs. During this orientation, the student will take a placement test to see where he or she stands. These tests will be immediately graded and the student will be sent home with their first assignment workbook.
- These worksheets contain hundreds of math and reading content. Students will complete these worksheets at a local center under the supervision of the staff. In addition to the workbooks being completed at the center, students will also have to complete a workbook at home each day they don’t attend the center. Depending on the workbook, it can range anywhere from two to 20 pages a day. Progress reports are handed out to track the student’s progress. Students will have to score close to 100 percent to be able to pass onto the next level.
- During a typical session, the tutors won’t teach a class such as a traditional classroom; instead, the company uses “a learn by doing” approach. The tutor will offer guidance and support during the worksheet sessions. The company firmly believes students should learn problems on their own.
- Kumon will diagnostically test a child to see where they stand. These tests will be dependent upon their age, test scores and grades. Using a formula, it will depict which level a child should be on.
Tips to know
- There are no refunds or discounts available.
- Students are expected to work seven days a week. On average, a student will be assigned 10 worksheets a day.
- There is no “right” age for the program. Any child may enroll in the program. Ages three through high school may enroll.
How can I save money?
- Compare a handful of other learning centers to see what they have to offer, along with pricing. Keep in mind that all learning centers aren’t created equally. Be sure to find out what kind of learning strategies they use, what kind of guarantee they offer and don’t forget to check reviews online from past parents/students.