How Much Do Noodles Cost?
Noodles are popular and easy-to-prepare comfort food among many people in the world. Generally inexpensive, noodles come in a host of flavors, ingredients, varieties and sizes in diverse packaging.
How much does it cost?
- At a majority of grocery stores, a pound of regular spaghetti noodles can cost between $1 and $2.50. Ramen noodles can cost as little as $0.10 a package, and your basic box of spaghetti can be as little as $1.
- Aside from your basic noodles, higher-end noodles that are homemade can cost a lot more. Organic noodles can also cost a little more than traditional noodles.
- SkinnyDipNoodles.com, for example, has a collection of shirataki noodles such as Angel Hair, Fettuccini, and Rice Pearls that cost $10.98 per bag; macaroni noodles that cost $34.88 per bag; and Variety Paks priced at $57.88 a bag.
- If you want to buy in bulk, the costs can significantly go down per pound. Since raw noodles have a very long shelf life, this is not a bad idea.
- For example, Walmart.com sells a variety of noodles from brands like Q&Q, Roland, DaVinci, Hodgson Mill and Manischewitz that cost from $21.54 – $90.43, depending on packaging quantity. Varieties include vermicelli, stick noodles, wide and large egg noodles, small egg bow noodles, and fettuccine noodles.
- Soap.com offers a selection of Maruchen, Nissin, Annie Chun noodles and other noodle products that cost from $3.49 – $19.49.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the manufacturer, noodles may come in single packs or in packs of 6, 12, 16, 30 or 48 ounces.
- Many noodle varieties come with natural ingredients that have undergone minimal processing, giving consumers a healthier option to noodles made synthetically. There are even noodles that contain a full serving of vegetables without noticeably affecting the taste.
- If you purchase Ramen noodles, you will be provided with a small package of flavoring to add to them. These usually come in individual servings and can be made for on-the-go situations.
What are the extra costs?
- If you intend to prepare the noodles in a more elaborate way such as for pan dinners, stir fries, and soups, you will need to buy the necessary ingredients.
- Purchasing noodles online can often incur shipping fees. This is especially true since a bulk order of noodles can weigh a lot.
Factors that influence the price:
- Quantity. Noodles come in single and multiple packs. While they can be sold individually, many sell them by packs of 6, 12 or 30. However, some noodle brands sold singly may be more expensive than other brands sold in packs.
- Ingredients. Noodles are made using various ingredients. Some are made with fewer noodles and more water, sacrificing quality. Others lean towards being weight-loss choices, while others just use natural ingredients. There are noodles that are made for vegetarians and are lactose-free. Then there are organic diet noodles that contain 0 calories, 0 carb, no additives, no preservatives, no artificial coloring, and are 100% gluten-free. The better the quality of the noodles, the higher the cost will be.
- Shelf life. The shelf life of noodles may have an impact on their cost. Some noodles last only six months and need refrigeration. Others do not need to be refrigerated and have a shelf life of 18 months.
Tips to know:
- When buying noodles online, make sure to inquire how long it will take for the orders to arrive and if there are any other charges for which you should be prepared.
- Compare products from one online retailer to another. Some vendors offer lower prices than others, so it may be worth the effort to check for more affordable options. Also, not all online dealers give significant discounts to shoppers.
- There are many noodle varieties sold in supermarkets and groceries. You may find this a more practical alternative to buying online, which entails a waiting period before you receive your order.
- When cooking the noodles, it is best to have the water already boiling before placing the noodles in it. If you cook the noodles too long, they can become mushy; if you do not cook them long enough, they will be hard and crunchy. Make sure you test a noodle every minute or so until they are perfect.
Questions to ask:
- How long can unopened noodles be stored at room temperature?
- Do you require a minimum purchase?
- Do you send samples?
- When will the order arrive?
- Where do you ship?
- What is your return policy? Do you refund unused noodles?
How can I save money?
- Order from online dealers that offer free shipping.
- Buy in bulk. Most online dealers offer discounts and/or free shipping to shoppers who place minimum orders.
- Always look for coupons. Some online retailers offer coupons and many name brands have coupons in the local Sunday paper.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.