How Much Do Olives Cost?
Olives have been around for thousands of years, long before the canning industry even existed. Olives were originally eaten primarily in the Mediterranean but have since become popular all over the world. Olives can be eaten plain or they can be mixed with a variety of dishes.
How much is it?
- Olives are prepared in a number of ways. They can either be sold fresh in a market, and you can also purchase them bottled and preserved. The price of olives would usually depend on the variety you choose. Since fresh olives are not available in all parts of the world, they are bottled and preserved for sale in areas where olives are not cultivated. The price of olives can also differ depending on the way they been prepared and the time of year.
- On average, plan on spending $1 to $3 for a can of black or green olives at your local grocery store.
- For a pack of olives that are flavored with garlic or are stuffed, you will most likely pay $3 to $5 per pack depending on the brand.
- Olives, although not cultivated worldwide, can be purchased in your local grocery stores as well as online stores. Your local market may even carry them fresh, which is the best way to have them. For example, a pack of Byzantine country olive mix which includes kalamata, ionian, amfissa, cracked green and atalanti olives that do not contain any preservatives or artificial colors and flavors can cost $25 to $30 per five pound bag.
- Olives have seeds or pits, and this is the reason that there are manufacturers that sell pitted olives to avoid the hassle of preparing the olives. Another product such as pitted olives seasoned with garlic and thyme can cost anywhere from $16 to $20 for a small five pack.
- If you are looking for ingredients to be used in your gourmet cooking, you should pay a visit to Caviar Line. Just the name of the site implies that they specialize on selling gourmet food ingredients. The olives that they sell are usually canned and have an average weight of 9 pounds per can. They are pitted and are available in different varieties such as Nicoise. The price for this type of olive can range from $30 to $34.
What is going to be included?
- Prepared olives are available in cans and bottles. They are processed and prepared in a manner that will allow them to have extended shelf life. Most of the olives that have been processed are pitted and ready to eat. Olives can either be green or black, and each will have a pit in the middle.
- Olives can be eaten raw on a vegetable tray, can be cooked in a dish, or can be used as a pizza topping. They are also very popular with those who enjoy sipping a martini.
Tips to know:
- If there are no fresh olives available in your area, the best alternatives are the ones that you find in supermarkets and grocery stores packed in bottles and cans.
How can I save money?
- The more you buy, the more you should be able to save. For example, bulk size jars at your local wholesale clubs are going to be cheaper per ounce than buying a smaller container.
- Try sticking with store brands if buying olives from a local grocery store. Most of the time, you will not be able to tell a difference.
- If you plan to consume a large number of olives on a consistent basis, consider purchasing your own olive tree. This way, you can simply harvest the fruit yourself and not have to worry about finding it at a grocery store or online. This also allows you to have the freshest olives possible, and you will avoid the high mark-up prices of stores and sellers.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.