How Much Do Paper Plates Cost?
A paper plate is a disposable plate that can be used in the house or on the go. People use paper plates for a number of different reasons.
Using paper plates eliminates many of the hassles of cleaning up. Instead of having to collect, rinse, wash, and dry glassware, you will be able to simply throw it all in the trash. Paper plates can also be used when throwing a party, especially outdoors, for a large group of people. Lastly, although this is not the suggested use, they can be used for many different crafts and projects for children. No matter how you use your paper plates, they will fall in the same basic price range.
How much is it?
- Depending on the brand and quality, paper plates can be extremely cheap or surprisingly expensive per package. Among the cheapest are the store brand Styrofoam plates which can start at $1 per 50. Among the more expensive are the name brand plastic coated plates which can start at around $5 per 50 to 100.
- Paper plates have become commonly used in weddings and other specials occasions that companies have started to design them to have the look of fine china, which spending on the number of plates included, can cost $10 to $20 dollars per package.
- In the end, plan on spending at least $2 per 50 paper plates.
- Amazon.com, for instance, sells a 48-count of Dixie paper plates for $3 to $5 per package.
- Walmart, on the other hand, sells their store branded paper plates for $2 a package, which includes 45.
- According to one member on earlyretirementextreme.com, they spent $3.29 for a 100 pack at Walmart.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the brand, paper plates are going to have various thicknesses. The thicker the plate is, the more durable it will be. Common thicknesses include 6.875, 8 1/2, 9 and 10 inches.
- Paper plates are composed of tiny plant fibers that are all separated and then washed. As the mixtures are forced through specialized mesh screens, they are turned into liquid pulp. The plates are then considered to be paperboard, which is an extremely thick slice of paper. A plate machine is then used in order to make various shapes and sizes.
- While most paper plates are plain white, some may have a decorative trim, cartoon characters, or special designs.
- Paper plates are often round; however, some may come in a square or customized shapes.
What are the extra costs?
- Though paper plates can be extremely convenient, there are a few things one should consider when purchasing them. Disposable plates can be quite costly when they are used as a sole form of dishware. Though the cleanup of regular dishes can be a hassle, the investment has already been made unlike with paper plates, which require constant purchase. This is especially true with the cheaper plates which require one to stack dish upon dish so that the food does not leak through. Paper plates can become a costly part of your monthly expenses if you use them on a daily basis.
- If you would like to make paper plates apart of your daily life, then it would be to your benefit to make yourself aware of cooking methods and tricks. Never microwave a disposable plate that is lined with tin foil or one that is made of styrofoam. Avoid putting your paper plates in the oven, no matter how sturdy they appear. If you are going to put your disposable plates in the washer, make sure they are made of thick plastic.
Tips to know:
- When purchasing paper plates, consider the types of food you are going to be eating on them. If it is something heavy or something with liquid sauce of any kind, you will want to buy thicker plates with raised edges. However, if you are just eating a sandwich and come chips, the cheap paper plates will do fine.
How can I save money?
- Though paper plates can be more expensive than regular plates in the long run, there is no reason you cannot still save money when using them. One popular method of saving money when using disposable plates is to rewash them. Many are sturdy enough to withstand your dishwasher or hand washing one or two times.
- Save a few extra dollars by visiting a wholesale store and buying a large amount of plates. If you are having a party and need to buy more than 100, consider your wholesale clubs like Sam’s Club and Costco.
- Keep your eyes peeled for special coupons from popular brands. You can find these coupons in the newspaper, their social media channels and their website.
- If the quality is not that important, check out the local dollar store for small packs.
Advertising Disclosure: This content may include referral links. Please read our disclosure policy for more info.